TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nurbs is back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thirdprize

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: The Nurbs is back! Reply with quote

I had a comic i started 10 years ago but which got left behind. I have decided to start it up again. It is 3D (and NOT Poser!) which makes it fairly unique in the web comics world. It is humorous with short story arcs and pop culture references.

It is currently living at

http://www.thirdprize.org/Nurbs/

until I get a site worked out for it.

Any comments?
dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, cute look, I flipped back some pages to get a feel for the humor.

Oooh, I dunno about makes it fairly unique. Smile

Can I suggest http://comicfury.com and http://www.theduckwebcomics.com to name but 2 sites that allow you to display your comic for free, and have active communities.
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitpick: there are no gradations of "unique." Smile There have been several non-Poser 3D comics. Dragon Tails comes to mind, as well as much of Patrick Farley's work. It's definitely an underrepresented production technique, however.

Are all of your models actually built from NURBS? Do any modern modelers even use that anymore? I thought everyone switched to generalized subdivision surfaces.

What's wrong with the site as it is? Seems functional and usable for what you've got.

i am a busy bee
thirdprize

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffy wrote:
Nitpick: there are no gradations of "unique." Smile There have been several non-Poser 3D comics. Dragon Tails comes to mind, as well as much of Patrick Farley's work. It's definitely an underrepresented production technique, however.

Are all of your models actually built from NURBS? Do any modern modelers even use that anymore? I thought everyone switched to generalized subdivision surfaces.

What's wrong with the site as it is? Seems functional and usable for what you've got.

Point taken. I had just never seen any non Poser ones before. Which is strange as there is so much CGI in the rest of the media. I don't know about you but I always find the Poser ones look a bit creepy.

I don't actually use Nurbs, I just found it a funny word ten years ago. Wink

As for the web site, i might just add an archive and about page to the comic part and run with that.
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thirdprize wrote:
I don't know about you but I always find the Poser ones look a bit creepy.

I agree. They're like a bunch of expressionless mannequins, often posed without regard to how people actually move either.

Poser wasn't originally intended to be a final-art production suite; it was meant to be a modern anatomical model for art reference. But they kept on adding more and more rendering features, because more and more people wanted to buy it as an art tool itself, which is FINE if you want a starting point for 3D stuff with basic posed human figures, but, jeeze.

I also always felt like most Poser comics were incredibly lazy. It's rare to see one which uses a set that is built from more than the most basic stock props. So many of them are just in poorly-lit empty brick rooms with furniture built out of rough cubes. Yeesh.

i am a busy bee
thirdprize

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, lets see if we can start releasing it once a week form now on.
thirdprize

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed it so far. Wink
Milknut

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poser comics are simply the greatest example of ironic naming in the world of webcomics.
thirdprize

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the size/font/layouts, etc? I had a bit of trouble getting the comic to appear full size in the page but it seems to work now. It is the same width as some comics out there but looks a bit big to me.
thirdprize

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about, anyone who cares to leave a comment in the latest strip will be name checked IN one of the upcoming strips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: