TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TWC July Dwarf on Vacation contest

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirbyrules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: TWC July Dwarf on Vacation contest Reply with quote

Hiya,
Looking around at different ways of promoting our web comic, Joan Conrad, (Current story starts here if you haven't seen it http://joanconrad.thecomicseries.com/comics/1/ ), I found Top Web Comics. Huzzah!, we're ranked at No. 2020 in their list- Victory, fame at last, tea and buns for all, trumpets blare, drums roll and the Princess hangs one of those Star Wars medal/medallion/blingy things around our necks!

Anyway, in an attempt to increase our popularity still further from our current position we've had a go at their July contest. The rules are..
* 1 entry per webcomic

* Maximum of 2 characters of the webcomic to be included. Minimum of 1 character in the entry.

* Entry must contain One Tiny Deserted Island, covered in sand.

* 1 Christmas Tree

* 1 Heavy Armored Dwarf

* No text is allowed in the entry.

Entered far too late to win but its a bit of fun. Recommend that you all have a look next time, any PR being good PR.

Our entry is Joan on Christmas-comes-early-island with "Chop yer knees off" Bob. No idea how or why she got there, but there must be a story in it. If you want to see what its all about, the link to the competition is http://topwebcomics.com/contestvoting.aspx?contestid=6 , obviously if you like our entry please vote Joan!
Cheers
Steve

[/img][/url]
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in that contest too. I'm not a big fan of these voting sites from using them in the past on other websites I've had, but I decided to take a crack at the contest since a friend talks about it a lot. I've been really disappointed with how the admins run the site, but I'll save that rant for some other time.

I'd actually seen the contest before this one and was considering entering until I saw "chibi Hitler" as one of the picture's requirements. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable drawing Hitler in any fashion (I think some of the entrants were unintentionally making light of genocide), but I also have a big problem with being set to a style that doesn't fit my comic.

Wasn't going to enter this one because "Dwarf on Vacation" has nothing to do with anything. Though if you look at the rules, you don't actually have to draw a dwarf on vacation, just have those elements. So I decided to do an entry in an attempt to bend the rules, but before I could finish they went and posted a blog saying what I was doing was pretty much what they were hoping to get. (Though they never made that clear on the contest page, since most of the entries stick to the dwarf on an island theme.)

That said, I think your entry is one of the better ones, and I've already voted for it. Smile Maybe the next contest will work better in your favor. It helps to get in before voting opens.

Though I'd like to mention the spot you've put your vote link on your website isn't very noticable at all. It's clear down at the bottom of the site, below the expected bottom-navigation links, and people are going to look right over that. The red text on black background is also kind of hard to read. I'd really recommend putting something toward the top of your page - preferably an image - that'll get their attention.

I put a small picture in between the top comic navigation on my page. It's still not a terribly eye-catching image, but my regular readers should hopefully notice that it isn't normally there. It's also "above the fold" (before you scroll down the page), so people who come to read the comic but skip the comment section will see it too.

As far as the TWC listing goes, if you really want to make it work, be sure to vote for yourself. That helps seperate you from the corpse pile of dead comics (and it's allowed). Though honestly, my guess is that unless you're in the top 200 or so, people probably aren't going to find you in the list. Maybe if the "New to the List" didn't cover a year there would be more of a chance for smaller and newer comics, but the site on a whole is organized terribly, so whatever.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, thanks for your support- funnily enough I'd voted for yours as I thought it was the most interesting and I'll be gobsmacked if you don't win. Thanks also for the advice on placing the link, I'll make sure of that next time.

Bonkers in the way that the voting system works, but it helped to get us get looked at by people who hadn't seen the strip and maybe some of them will come back. Don't really expect too much from the current TWC listing down in the sewers, and I agree entirely that any strip will need to be at the top of the pile to get any great benefit- but hey any PR eh?

Again, hope that you win and that the free ads draw in new and regular readers for you.

Cheers

Steve
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Looks like I won - I don't really know what I was expecting but I'm surprised at how well my entry did.

I don't think I ever fell out of first place, or really even came close, I was concerned for a bit that one of the other entries wasn't playing fairly. I won't say who it was or what they did since I don't really want to speak badly about people, but it seemed after a friend and I sent an email to the site's staff, that the issue was resolved. But it was enough to keep me a bit nervous through the whole thing, haha.

At any rate, now I can see if the ad space on this site is worth it. And I'll be getting some bonus promotion for a week or so.

I'm up late working on homework and noticed the TWC listing reset for the month a few minutes ago. I have 2 votes right now which is enough to get me on the home page for a few fleeting minutes, lol. Too bad no one's awake for that to do me any good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Jams and competitions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: