TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DID YOU KNOW: VAMPIRES CAN SNOWBOARD!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToasterThief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: DID YOU KNOW: VAMPIRES CAN SNOWBOARD! Reply with quote

Heeey we're new to this site and are looking for ways to promote our webcomic Under the Skin and to get useful feedback!

READ HERE IF YOU HAVE AN INKBLAZERS ACCOUNT: http://www.inkblazers.com/manga-and-comics/Under-the-Skin/detail-page/5214?lang=en

READ HERE IF YOU DO NOT: http://colacatinthehat.deviantart.com/art/Under-the-Skin-Cover-410854405

We think you might love this comic because it has a wide variety of characters including kitsunes, halflings and vampires (one of which does indeed snowboard for a living!) who are both likable and interesting. We also like to mix and experiment with genres so we can associate UtS with fantasy, drama, romance, supernatural, adventure and comedy. There's something for everyone!

If you're not interested already, here's the synopsis:
How, you may ask, can one produce a clear and coherent plot when one chooses to fill it with vampires, werewolves, halflings and timetravelers? To be honest we\'re not all that sure ourselves, but the answer seems to involve a lot of bickering and a bit of good old-fashioned murder.
Seriously though, if you want to see what happens when a snowboarding vampire superstar meets a candid kitsune doctor then you've come to the right place.
Very Happy

Disclaimer: if blood and swearing are not for you, then maybe don't read this comic.

Last edited by ToasterThief on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the first sixteen pages or so, but now it's insisting that I log into the site to read the rest. I have no plans to make an account, so I guess I'll comment on what I read from the first chapter. So I'll apologize now if I'm missing something that get corrected/expanded later.

You're introducing a LOT of characters right off the bat. I don't know much about any of them yet before the fight between Draco and Kai breaks out, and I'm not sure who the protagonist is (is it Kai?) or how I feel about any of the characters. Your synopsis doesn't tell me much about what the story's about, just the character elements you include. Since I'm blocked from all but some of the first chapter, I'm not sure if I'm interested in it or not. Your intro is good though.

I like your artwork. Your linework is very clean, and you do a good job of using the panels' borders as part of the scene. There are a few pages where you have a LOT of whitespace though, like this one, followed directly by this one. I don't necessarily mind the gradient backgrounds, but collectively, they take up so much of the page that could be put to better use. I would shrink them, or rearrange them and make the art bigger.
The backgrounds you did for the last two panels on page 6 are much more interesting.

As far as gradients in general go, I'm not against them, but I'd say avoid using black and white as much as you can. Using a color will look better in most (if not all) cases, though figuring out which color can be tricky. I'm not particularly good at this myself, but picking neighboring colors on the color wheel seems to be the way to go.

Your character's shoulders and necks are very stiff, but otherwise you're doing an all right job of varying poses.

I'm really not fond of the webhost you're using - it doesn't seem to work well with Back/Forward buttons in my browser. That's not necessarily your fault, but just letting you know this (along with being required to log in) is a deal breaker for me as a new potential reader. Obviously this won't be a problem for people already signed onto the site, but it's something to keep in mind if you market to outside that network.

As for promoting yourself, forgive me if you've heard of all these already, but here's somewhere to start:
this thread has some comic listing sites that you should see about getting yourself onto. Though honestly, with the webhost you're using, I'm not sure how their crawlers will act in regards to your website's navigation. But for all I know it'll work flawlessly, so it's worth taking a look.

Another thing is Project Wonderful, which if used correctly, may be your best source of traffic. It's an advertising service that's pretty cheap (you can even post free ads if you look for them) but the drawback is it takes time to figure out how to make it work best for your comic.

That's all I have to say for now, haha. Good job so far, and I really like your banner. I don't know if your host lets you put up extra content like wallpapers, but that would make a nice wallpaper without the text.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Oh my, we really weren't expecting to receive such a carefully thought out, detailed response. Thank you so much for taking the time, your feedback is very useful both in what you say about the art and about the plot.

We're very glad you liked the banner and the intro in general, and we were actually just reworking the prologue and updating some of the expressions, so we'll try and take your comments on shoulders/poses into account!

Finally, we're very sorry about the problem with Inkblazers not letting non-members read beyond page sixteen. We actually didn't know that happened at all so thanks for letting us know! If you were at all interested in continuing your read, (and letting us know what you think), we have the comic also posted and up to date on DeviantART.com, and we're pretty sure you can read everything there without signing up to anything: http://colacatinthehat.deviantart.com/art/Under-the-Skin-Cover-410854405

Again, thank you very much for your time, and have a nice day!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: