TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Software Advice For a New Artist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FieldDoc

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Software Advice For a New Artist Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a doctor by profession but like to draw simple line art comics in my free time - all on old-fashioned paper.

I'm a proficient web designer and a Mac user. I'm just looking for some pointers as to how people move from drawing on paper with pens to drawing on a Mac. What software to people use? Do you use the mouse or tablets, etc?

Are there any guides on this topic?

Thanks in advance,
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't use a Mac so I can't give you specifics there, but I have opinions that should branch across operating systems.

Some people will sketch their stuff on paper, ink it, then scan it into their computer. I don't know all the technical details on this, so maybe one of those people can drop by. But do know that it IS an option to work completely traditionally and then put it online. That may be the way you want to go if you aren't looking for a lot of special effects.

I do most of my work digitally, so that's what I'll share.

For drawing software, I recommend Manga Studio. It's drawing software that's comic-oriented. There's the regular version and an Ex version, but the trial is for the regular version. You may not need all the bells and whistles the Ex version has if you're just starting with digital art, anyway. You can always upgrade the basic to Ex later if you change your mind, so it's pretty much better to start with the basic version.

There is also free software available, but I don't have any off the top of my head that are Mac compatible. I'd thought GIMP was, but I can't find a Mac download for it right now. Sorry.

Most of us who do this regularly (and digitally) use tablet pens. Wacom is pretty much the go-to business for drawing pens. If you've never used one, what you'll probably want is the Intuos Pen or Intuos Pen & Touch. (These two models are basically the same, except the Touch version also works somewhat like a touch pad.) These are the cheaper ones (around $70-$100), but cheap doesn't mean they don't work well.

As far as tablet pens go: some people have trouble getting used to the disconnect of looking at the screen while they draw (as opposed to looking at their pencil tip). I've heard people have an easier time getting used to it if they buy either a medium or large sized model, since the trick is learning to not use your wrist so much to pivot. I don't really have an opinion, since I've had the same tablet for 10-ish years and it's a small sized one. But that would be something to ask others about, or google.

Some people use their mouse, but a big reason against it is tablet pens give you pressure sensitivity. So the pressure you put into it affects the line weight (like it would with a pencil or with real ink). If you have Illustrator and know how to use it, you could make comics with simple vectors. This may be the easier way to go if you'd rather use a mouse, but may not be best if you don't already have Illustrator (in terms of a price tag) or another vector program.

Definitely no one way to do things, so it's usually a matter of deciding what you're most comfortable with and exploring those options. Hope that helps a little.
^_^

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To draw on a mac, I use a tablet (Wacom's Bamboo). And Photoshop Elements, because that is what I happen to have.

As of yet I haven't drawn any comic art on my Mac though, so, I'm not sure how relevant this is.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. These are great tips, really appreciate it.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Wacom's line of "Cintiq" devices, which area basically screens that you draw on with a digital pen, so there isn't the "disconnect" of drawing on a tablet and watching the result on a separate monitor. The Cintiqs are much more expensive than the other options, but as a doctor you can probably afford it. : D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: