TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should I archive completed WebComics or remove them?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndreStAmour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Should I archive completed WebComics or remove them? Reply with quote

Any thoughts or suggestions on the subject? Also, How long should I leave a complete webcomic story on the site before replacing it with a new Frozen Light webcomic story? Sound off, webcomics readers! And thanks for your valued opinions, from a webcomic-making newbie.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read your comic quite yet, and this is sort of a side-issue, but I noticed you're using Blogspot for your host. I'd really suggest getting a more comic-centered host for your site. The navigation you have really isn't webcomic-friendly, especially since clicking the next page opens a new tab. (I'm not sure if this is something you set up yourself or Blogspot does, but if you have control over it, take it out.)

If you're looking for free hosting, ComicFury is a good option.

Why would you take comics down in the first place? If you're using a free host like Blogspot or ComicFury and you aren't coming up on any sort of file or bandwidth cap, why ever remove old comics?

Is it because of this?:
Quote:
Comics will OFFICIALLY start hitting comic shop shelves SPRING 2014

Are you using this as a preview for comics you're going to sell?

Or is it because you're starting off with characters that don't belong to you?

I'm having trouble figuring out just what your angle is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would never take a comic offline. It's like throwing away possibly years of work. I would definitely archive them - put them on a seperate page, or even give them their own website (it's not like domain names aren't given away these days).

Even if you plan to sell them in printed form, I wouln't take them offline. People who like buying comic books will do so regardless of whether or not they are available online. An online version may even serve to promote the printed form.

Also, have you considered selling them as PDF for tablets and e-readers in addition to selling them in printed form? This is where he market is headed. The printed media business is on life-support.
AndreStAmour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
I haven't read your comic quite yet, and this is sort of a side-issue, but I noticed you're using Blogspot for your host. I'd really suggest getting a more comic-centered host for your site. The navigation you have really isn't webcomic-friendly, especially since clicking the next page opens a new tab. (I'm not sure if this is something you set up yourself or Blogspot does, but if you have control over it, take it out.)

If you're looking for free hosting, ComicFury is a good option.

Why would you take comics down in the first place? If you're using a free host like Blogspot or ComicFury and you aren't coming up on any sort of file or bandwidth cap, why ever remove old comics?

Is it because of this?:
Quote:
Comics will OFFICIALLY start hitting comic shop shelves SPRING 2014

Are you using this as a preview for comics you're going to sell?

Or is it because you're starting off with characters that don't belong to you?

I'm having trouble figuring out just what your angle is.

MC - No. No angle. The WebComics titles are unique and separate. The print comics are a whole different set of comics.

I was asking about the archive thing because...

1- I'm new to the whole webcomics thing.
2- The webcomics I have seen all seem to either newspaper style gag strips OR epic/long sagas that seem to last for years.
3- my comics tend to be more of a comic-book style i.e. each title tells a story in a given amount of pages (either in a one-shot style issue or possibly "to be continued")
4-I'm not certain I will be archiving Dr. Fate as I don't own that character (it was just an exercise in trying a different art style). I still haven't decided yet.

JFD - The printed comics will be sold in various forms; printed and digital versions. The webcomics may eventually get the same treatment when there is enough material to package them in a "collected volume".
JFD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Blogspot or Comicfury have that feature but Comicpress has a feature where you can organize you comic in chapters. That could work for you since your comic Is divided into issues.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndreStAmour wrote:
MC - No. No angle.

Ah, to clarify my language - I meant angle as in "where you're coming from," rather than what may be a more hostile "what's your motive, what are you trying to gain." Sorry.

I'd say keep them online. It may be years down the line when some people find your stuff and go through all your stuff. So unless you're coming up on some sort of webhosting limit or you just get sick of the comics yourself, I'd keep them online.

Do whatever you want with the Dr. Fate one - if you keep that online, I'd suggest adding somewhere in the pages that it's a fan comic. I actually don't read DC comics (I read webcomics and occasionally manga) and didn't realize it was a fan comic until I saw the copyright/TM notice at the bottom. For all I know it may be clearly obvious to anyone familiar with the character, but you may want to make it more clear that you're not associated with DC.

JFD wrote:
I don't know if Blogspot or Comicfury have that feature but Comicpress has a feature where you can organize you comic in chapters. That could work for you since your comic Is divided into issues.

ComicFury does.

If you want to go with a more professional look, I'd say get your own website with WordPress and some sort of webcomic plugin (ComicPress, Comic Easle, whatever's going around) and a domain name. You'll have more options for organizing. Though it can be daunting if you don't have experience with HTML/CSS or WordPress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the valuable advice, guys. Much appreciated and under consideration.

The main reason I'm using blogspot, besides being free, is it's relatively easy. I've already figured out way to keep each separate webcomic archived.

Any more suggestions, just holler.

Thanks again.

(Edit) P.S.: I fixed the dreaded "new-window" on the page links.
Lindemannade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I enjoy keeping an Archive page for myself as much as anyone else - having that list slowly getting longer week on week feels like progress! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: