TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Example Comics v2.0
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bad Example

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Bad Example Comics v2.0 Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

Some of you may know me from previous posts here, most of you probably don't Smile . For some time now I've been running my own little web comic named Bad Example Comics.

I began with very little knowledge of how to manage a webcomic, how to upload my art on the web and what to do with the storyline. That resulted in a mix of some things I'm very proud of, and some other things I wish I'd never have done. It was a hit and miss situation - sometimes I did things right, and sometimes the complete opposite. Needless to say that annoyed the heck out of my perfection seeking self.

Fast forward to current day - I've decided that with my newly found knowledge of web-comic-making, the best thing for me to do was to gather up some courage, scratch everything I did before and go back to doing it all from the beginning. Yes yes - that means a complete reboot, much like they did to X-Men after that horrible last stand movie... something like that

So now I have a new comic with the same name, and my first page is officially out. I'd love it if you'd take a look at it. Here it be:

http://badexamplecomics.com

Thanks in advance, and I hope you'll come back for more Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my 2nd page is out. Made it in under a week so I'm keeping it on schedule... good for me too. Last thing I want to do is drag updating pages for longer than necessary.

As you can probably see in this new page - do NOT mess with rabbits!

See you this monday with an update Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - the third page be upon us. This time Alex finds out that it is not the fall that kills you, it's the landing... and the kitten. That's right... the kitten!

Poor guy...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked it out. I dig the cat. Smile
Bad Example

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why thank you kindly, I like the kitty as well.

He won't be a major character (atleast not in chapter 1), but I do plan for him to appear atleast one more time towards the chapters end Smile

And the next page has a... clown in it.

Yep, a clown. Definitly.

Come by next monday Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a few things I've got to announce:

1) As I've said (sort of) on my website, the weekly update moves from monday to tuesday. This is due to evil week schedule I'm going through + an evil girlfriend. What does it have to do with the girlfriend? Nothing. I just want to complain that she's evil.

2) I've promised you a clown, so here be a clown

[img]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/tpar.jpg/[/img]

See the rest of the page at:

See ya Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I'm introducing the 2nd major character of this chapter. She's Alex's long time neighbour and annoyance, and childhood archenemy.

Next week the 3rd major character will make a short, but important, appearance. Stay tuned Smile

http://badexamplecomics.com/

P.S.

Silly little me didn't put a facebook like button on the website, but this will be fixed in a day or two. If you like my comic, would love it if you'll like it on facebook.

Thanksies Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last page was a b-word to draw. I had to redo it three f-ing times. Three! And I won't even mention the artistic mental breakdown I've had doing it... yep... that's between me, my social worker, and the kind employees of the nearby McDonalds branch who did not press charges.

So here be the fruit of my labors - I hope you enjoy it and if you are a hardcore Michael Jackson fan... uhm... he's in a better place now. Dont' kill me!

I will make my best effort to keep the next page on schedule Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy new year everyone!

I finished drawing this next page on January 1st, and trust you me - that was not easy to do with a hangover.

Despite that though - it didn't come out too shabby so if you'd like to check it... here it is:

And here's a small snipplet of it:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week we delve deeper to the reasons why Alex had summoned a devil.

Is it power? Money? A new spanking graphic card?

Go to my website to find out.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I know it's not a "real" update, but I've uploaded my first picture into my picture gallery. Yay me! Very Happy

Here's the link, would love to hear some comments.

http://badexamplecomics.com/gallery.html

Spanks

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's thursday so that means... a new page! Very Happy

Went off work early today to keep the schedule, which means more work tomorrow but who the heck cares, right? An artist should suffer for his craft... or something like that.

So here be the link to the new page (and my website) :

If you like it give me a shout, or a write... or... somethiing Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it's way too late and I've slept way too much.

I've just put up a new page and I hope you'll check it out.

Here it is:

Also... if you're a vegan, don't kill me!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I haven't been writing here for quite a bit - but it doesn't mean I haven't been busy Smile

One of the things I've been struggling the most with lately (besides time management... ick!) is a drawing style. You know... that distinct style that makes every comic stand out on his own? Well... I'm still (sort of) searching for that.

It had been quite obvious seeing the differences in my last 2 pages:

http://badexamplecomics.com/HTMLs/page_011.html
http://badexamplecomics.com/index.html

To be honest - page 11 didn't turn out to be what I wanted.

The page before it (page 10 that is) turned out even worse. Atleast I felt it to be.

But the last page, the one with the proposal (hehe) - I'm quite happy with it. I think I'll stick to this style of comic-making-drawing-whatever.

So... tell me what you think.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I've seen your thread a few times and I'm honestly not sure why I haven't posted yet.

I like the story so far, except that Alex doesn't seem to have much to him. He seems pretty average so far, maybe a bit dumb and/or unlucky. But it's still early so I'll let that slide.

You occasionally have grammar mistakes. Like on page 12, it's "devil's ass" - you're missing an apostrophe.

Your text runs up to the edge of your bubbles. Give yourself some padding there, it makes it easier to read and looks better.

Something about your art that I think you should work on is that it looks very flat and stiff. You have shading and highlights, but despite this, you have no depth. And details like the perfect, unbroken ring used for the bottom edge of his shirt, pointed shoulders really take from what little depth you've established with your shading. Page 4 is a good example of this - he looks almost robotic in the first panel. You seem to have anatomy down for the most part, but you're struggling with making interesting depth, poses, and angles. (But you're still trying, so kudos for that.)

You may want to practice some figure drawing with people in natural poses. SenshiStock on deviantArt has a lot of stock art that's great for drawing, especially if you're looking to practice. She has mostly female stock, but there are male models in her gallery too.

I'd say get your poses and stuff like that down before you worry about making a distinct style for yourself. Your style should come naturally. Just practice and it'll come out.

I really like page 11. It's a huge improvement on everything (except for Alex, and the head and one leg on the devil in panel 1 is a bit awkward). Panel 4 looks great, I love that shot. The overall style of that page is much more natural and interesting, in my opinion. If you're really searching for a "unique style," I think you should play in that direction more.

Page 12 looks pretty good, nice improvement. They still have a bit of robot-syndrome going on, though.

I really like the background in the last panel on page 6, and Alex in the first panel on page 5 looks great. His pose is much more natural and I love his expression.

Your website is... a mess. Lol. It's seriously showing its age. Building a site in tables is frowned up now - not only are divs and CSS easier to manage, but some mobile devices don't support tables very well. Tables are usually used for displaying data from a database now. Websites are your first impression on new visitors, and something like this can only hurt your readership.

I honestly suggest going to a local library and getting a beginner's book on HTML 4.01, XHTML, or HTML5 and working your way through it. You're using a lot of deprecated techniques and markup, and missing required tags. You have no header, doctype, title, nor metadata; your CSS is directly in the page instead of a separate file; half the time you aren't using CSS for what you should be, because most of your coloring, sizing, and alignment is directly in the HTML. All styling should be done with CSS. Trust me, it's much easier this way.

It's bad practice to link to pages that are "under construction." Search engines like Google may actually knock your website down the listings if they detect you doing this (their bots are designed to look for this). Your visitors may also see the "under construction" sign, then forget to ever check back when you finally do have stuff there.

If you don't have something ready, you should take the link for it down until it is. If you need links so your website isn't just one page, here are some suggestions:

• An "About" page - can be all text, doesn't have to be long, very quick and easy to put together. Usually stuff like a brief author bio, what the comic's about, update days, etc.
  • A Cast page for reoccuring characters. Since Alex is obviously your star, readers might enjoy a brief bio on him.
  • Links. Any site you want to plug. If you read other webcomics, plug those - webcomic readers usually are looking for recommendations when they go to Links pages.
  • Archives - this is going to be expected by webcomic readers, so you should get started on it. Since you seem to be hand-coding the site, this will be much easier to put together now before you have a bunch of pages that need to be listed.
    I hand code my site, so if you need an idea of how to do this, take a look at my source on this page. I used tables to build mine, but keep in mind the table is styled in my CSS file and not directly on the page.

IMO, ditch the forum idea completely. Unless it's something you want for you and your friends, don't worry about it, because readers aren't likely to join up. Forums aren't as popular as they used to be.

So anyway, I think you have a bit of housekeeping to do if you want to bring in readers. A lot of it comes down to just practicing. Your art isn't bad, but I can see you have some room to grow. If you're interested in improving, here's my advice for you:

• Draw as much as you can. If you can do even just a little bit of drawing every day, that'll really help you. If you're the type that isn't sure what to draw, warm up by drawing your characters. Or a friend's characters.
  • Look at what other artists are doing. See something another artist is doing that you think looks good? Steal it. Not their picture - that's copyright infringement - but look at their technique and figure out how make it your own. And don't just copy one artist. Look around, take a little bit from everyone, and smash it all together like clay. Then you'll have your own style.
  • Practice drawing from real life. It's really important to do this along side the step above. The reason being that if you learn to draw by looking at someone else's drawings, you'll copy their mistakes. This happens a LOT with people who learn how to draw by copying anime/manga. Real life can inspire you in ways art can't, and sometimes what you're looking for is right in front of you.
  • Get rid of your perfectionist attitude. Wink I can relate to this, and I'm sure most artists can. But I've personally found myself a lot happier with my own art once I started taking it as a learning experience instead of looking at every piece as if it needs to be perfect. I'm not saying you can't redo pages you aren't happy with (I did this recently), but sometimes it's just better to make a note of what you don't like and move on. Don't beat yourself up over it, just do better next time.

I hope that I'm not overstepping bounds with my post. I saw your comment on page 6 and felt I may be able to help by saying something. If you think you're bad, cut that out. You have room for growth, as most of us do, and if you can get a clear idea of where you want to go with your art, you can be much better and get the distinct style you're happy with. But it won't happen overnight, and it won't happen unless you make an effort.

Sorry this is so long, I apparently had a lot to say, haha. But keep it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: