TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extra-genre webcomics.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

Location: Here and there...mostly there. Sometimes kinda in between.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Extra-genre webcomics. Reply with quote

So we all have our webcomics (or at least, those of us who update do Embarassed ).

Now I draw (drew) a supernatural furry kind of webcomic. It's pretty obvious that's where my interests lie. But I also like alternate worlds, like steampunk webcomics.

So everybody, if you weren't addressing the subject and genre that you are addressing, what would your comic be about?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already doing other comics so this isn't hypothetical at all - they're just not online. Besides my only webcomic at the moment, which is wordless fantasy, I'm working on a short wordless sci-fi environmental comic and a horror comic about death and art. I'm also planning another one which is hard to categorized, but if I have to put a label on it It'd be "surreal superhero nonsense".

I like to make different things, so going back to the same genres and ideas doesn't happen very often. Or maybe I just get bored with everything I make so I try something else...? Who knows.

I'll probably be wrapping thing with my current webcomic by 2015. I'll definitely have another webcomic to replace it but it's too early to say what's it gonna be about. Probably not a wordless fantasy comic...
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff I'm posting is a science fiction story based comic, but I'm also working on a comic that is set in a made up world, that's historical based rather futuristic. And I have a script for a comic that is set in a fantasy alternate-history world.

That's pretty much my range.

Although I did start creating a gag-a-dayish webcomic about filking and filkers once. That was before Black Flag bushwhacked me. So, as always with me, the small simple project got abandoned so that I could do the big one.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to elucidate on the subject of filking, lavender, because it sounds vaguely dirty.

I think if I had the art skills (and patience) to do something more complex than a gag-a-day, I wouldn't mind doing an explanatory comic (a la Ripley's Believe It or Not or Sunday Mark Trail) that focused on history and society.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had access to top-flight art, I would go with a fantasy epic.
vulpeslibertas
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
Ok, I'll wait for you to become as good as Rob Liefeld.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
mcmasters wrote:
Ok, I'll wait for you to become as good as Rob Liefeld.

Had to do some research on this...so apparently he is quite controversial? Not sure I get why, is the idea his art was very over-the-top in the 90s and this was very popular but has many detractors?
Kail

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
vulpeslibertas wrote:
Rob Liefeld.

Had to do some research on this...so apparently he is quite controversial? Not sure I get why, is the idea his art was very over-the-top in the 90s and this was very popular but has many detractors?

He makes a ridiculous amount of money (like in the seven digit range) without being what most people would consider very good. The top result when you google his name is a pretty good representative of why he bugs people.

http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings

On topic:

I generally find it really helpful to my creative process to be working on two very different comics at once. One comic is generally my "main" comic (a sci-fi/fantasy thing) and the other is more of a rotating gallery of whichever side comic has snagged my interest this season (currently a journal comic, previously it was a gag-a-day comic and before that it was fan fiction). But by drawing two different comics, in different styles, it helps me work out the kinks in my drawing, and also I can incorporate things I'm really excited about that wouldn't work in one comic into the other.
Traegorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't doing my Steampunk comic or my comic about convention runners... I'd probably do a straightforward superhero comic.

Ooh, or maybe something about con men, ala Hustle or Leverage.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wasn't doing this science fiction comic... I'd probably be doing another science fiction comic. I'm a little one-track-minded. Wink I'm interested in writing younger protagonists, though.

Casual Notice wrote:
You'll have to elucidate on the subject of filking, lavender, because it sounds vaguely dirty.

You've probably Googled it by now, but filking is like fan fiction, but for singing. Take your favourite song, rewrite the lyrics so it's about Game of Thrones or Harry Potter or whatever, and sing it with all your friends because everyone already knows the tune. There's a guy who regularly, like nearly every day, posts in the comments a new filk to go with each update of Shaenon Garrity's webcomic Skin Horse. And he's been doing it for years. You can't help but be impressed. Well, I can't, at any rate, because my rhyming skill is pretty well zero.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is hard for me to get my mind around. If I weren't making my current comic, all I can think is that I would try to find a way to be making my current comic.

I don't think about genres when I'm creating, though. I just think about what I want to do, and my comic doesn't end up fitting very well into an existing genre.
Level 1 threat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think about it more as "If I had the time and energy to do one more comic, what would it be?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulpeslibertas wrote:
Think about it more as "If I had the time and energy to do one more comic, what would it be?"

Haha, if I had more time and energy I would probably put it into my current comic, updating it more often and stuff. I really don't know what else I would do, in terms of another comic.

Edit: I guess I'm even more one-track minded than ttallan.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has inspired me. I'm going to go ahead with my history comic (mentioned earlier) as a found-art comic. I've got three entries already, but won't start posting until I have at least ten.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN I've gathered from previous posts you're a history buff like me. My interest in doing a history based comic has only progressed to the fantasizing stage, but that would be a fun project. I think I would make mine a rough following of American history with the usual signposts but I would throw in the off-beat, unusual, peculiar and bizarre. Lack of time and artistic ability to carry it prevents it moving from fantasy, but it's a hell of a good fantasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: