TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Odd Monsters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesargent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: The Odd Monsters Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm really new to proper web comics (I dabbled for years but have never committed to publishing something) and so I'm slowly doing the rounds of the web comic communities and trying to absorb as much as I can!

Anyway here's the first issue of my series: The Odd Monsters:

More at http://oddmonsters.com (although I'm only up to week two!)
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to have a strong opinion on this so far with only two strips, but I like the casual cartoon style. I really like your take on Dracula.

The website's a bit bland, but I see you've said you're going to work on a Halloween theme, so I won't harp on that. One thing I'd suggest is making the comic go to the next page when you click on it. Right now it seems it's set to go to the current page, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

October is a good time to launch comic like this, I'd think. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the feedback, I'm trialling the new'ish WordPress theme "Panel" which at this stage doesn't give much in the way of options, but it's a work in progress and like you said it's hard to see any voice two in!!!

I've got to start producing all the collateral material such as banners etc to give a little more visual appeal!

Also I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on a weekly format or is that too little? Especially for a one to three panel strip?

I'm just acutely aware of not wanting to go hard and then lose momentum (running a marathon versus a sprint). I've been very tempted to up it to twice a week though - at this point it's a weekly strip with a supplementary blog post.

Thanks again!
MindChimera

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how many can you draw in a week? If you can do two or more without it being taxing on your freetime, I'd say go for it. One to three panels is a bit short for once a week, so I'd say two a week would be better.

But only do that if you think you can keep with it, imo. If you think it might be unreasonable for one reason or another, give once a week a try for a while and ask yourself again later.

It looks a lot better if you start low and increase how many you do weekly than if you decrease. I'm doing a bit of catch-up right now since I'm determined to do two updates a week, but I'm incredibly busy and each page takes several hours. Anytime life throws me a curve ball, things get messy. I'm doing one update a week until November - no one's complained to me, but I just get the impression I'm letting people down.

If you don't already have one, build a buffer before switching to two a week (if you do). So if your plans change, you'll already have the next update prepared and won't have to worry about finishing it up just a few hours before you plan to update.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
If you don't already have one, build a buffer before switching to two a week (if you do).

That's something I'm working on right now!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: