TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ComicPress 4.0/Comic Easel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frumph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: ComicPress 4.0/Comic Easel Reply with quote

As some of you have found out, ComicPress went to Version 4.0 which changes how it works, it now uses Comic Easel to manage the comics.

Just want to point out that I will help migrate people to it for free (of course) so if you're having difficulties with it, please contact me.

Otherwise the directions on migration are in the wp-admin -> appearance -> comicpress options -> help [tab] of the site after you update the theme.

- Phil
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good to know; I was planning on switching to comic easel, will it be easier to just switch to 4.0?

Also, is Comic Press 4.0 able to have multiple comics posted on a single day? That's what I wanted most from Easel.

The only thing that I really need help with is... how do I back up all of my data?
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
The only thing that I really need help with is... how do I back up all of my data?

That's more of a general question than something Comicpress / Easel specific. But maybe this will help:

I'm assuming you don't use FTP, so if I were you, I'd check out my host's control panel. I use HostGator which uses cPanel (your host probably uses cPanel too), and they have a few different ways you can do it in the "Files" category.

HostGator's cPanel has a Backup Wizard which makes it pretty simple, but this downloads the site in a compressed format to your computer (you'll need something like WinRAR to open) and will probably give you a bunch of files that you won't know what to do with. If you do this, the files YOU put on the site are kept in the public_html file.

You can also look for a File Manager option instead and download your files that way. If it asks you where you want to open, go with public_html.

I think there are also plugins in WordPress that will automatically backup your site to your server. I don't remember what they're called though. And for all I know, they probably have ones that'll zip up the site for you to download too. I'd look around.

Back on topic though: Thanks for posting that here Frumph. I don't use WordPress at all, but I've seen a lot of confusion floating around with this update. So it's nice to see you're reaching out on the other forums.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I do FTP into my server.
My real concern isn't about the uploaded files, ie all the comics and images. My real concern is everything on the SQL database, which stores all the comments, the blurbs, and etc.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, all right. Well, the backup stuff I mentioned before allows you to download the database stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: