TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I am considering a collaboration on some pages in my comic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: I am considering a collaboration on some pages in my comic Reply with quote

I'm considering enlisting some help with a few pages in my comic.

I suppose I should state right here that I really don't have the resources to pay money for this; the money I can blow on my comic is already going somewhere else. I would post links to the artist's site, and I suppose I might return the favor of doing some work for the other artist, but I can't pay money for this.

So here's what's up:
I've been trying to divide up the artistic appearance for various locations in my comic. In the titular fantasy land of Maytia, I aim for a painted look in my backgrounds and push the native residents to look just a little more like Anime characters. In the comic's normal world, I have my backgrounds drawn like a technical drawing; lots of straight edges and calculated perspective. When visiting an alien ship I follow the same guideline but without lines, giving it a different appearance (though I'm short on words to describe it.) And when I show up as a residence from beyond the fourth wall, I am drawn completely with real-world materials: ink and color pencils on paper.
In my upcoming chapter, I'm going to feature yet a fifth area, an unknown distant planet, following a mostly-primitive group of tribesmen.
While I was thinking about how I want those scenes to look, I thought: Hey, what if someone else drew those for me? Using a completely different artistic style might be the best way to go.

They won't be featured very often in my comic. Out of the next 42 or more pages I have planned, I only have 3 pages they'll be featured in. After that I have no idea when I'll next use that gag again. (At which point I might not mind if I have to change artists if the original is unavailable.)

So, if there's anyone out there who might be interested in drawing three pages for the scant reward of getting noticed by my 50-100 readers, shoot me an email or otherwise contact me. I'll take a look at your art style, and we'll talk about it from there.

Please bear in mind that I'm really just considering this; please don't be offended if I decide to draw this myself.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...No takers?

Kail

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, well, you gotta admit, it wasn't exactly the most aggressive pitch in the world.

"Hey guys, looking for someone to draw some backgrounds for me. You'll get no money, but to balance that out, you'll also get minimal exposure, and I might not even use your work. Call me!"

If you really need something, I might be able to whip something up, but I can't make any guarantees WRT quality, my backgrounds are pretty crap even on good days.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. But it's still just the circumstances, you know? If I don't have the money to pay someone, then all I can do is ask nicely.

By no means am I suprised that no one took me up on my offer. But that doesn't mean that I can't be a little displeased.

But I've got less than a week to go, so it looks like the offer is closed.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's any consolation, I'd very seriously considered offering because I love drawing backgrounds, I was just up to my elbows in paid work so I didn't have the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The Dogpile All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum