TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To Cintiq, or not Cintiq.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: To Cintiq, or not Cintiq. Reply with quote

My Wacom is dying. It's old, and had a long and fruitful life, but it's been giving me a lot of trouble lately.

I'm considering going with a Cintiq next. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it worth the investment? Any Cintiq alternatives anyone could recommend?

Some of my strips- like my current one as of today (http://www.fromnothingcomics.com/the-blank-canvas/)- are pretty complex visually. I'm thinking the Cintiq will speed up the process. (Though I've been drawing with a Wacom for years, it still feels odd to me.)

Any help/suggestions is appreciated. Thanks, all.
OnlyTheGhosts

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I like my Wacom these days although it was hard to get used to at first.

By the way, love your comic. I'm not Christian, but that's not the point is it? Bookmarked. You just gained a regular reader. (^^)
Steve C.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SamuraiTaiga,

No, it's not the point at all. THANK YOU!
Kristy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Cintiq, but I have a tablet PC with a Wacom Digitizer. I found it made a world of difference in my comic workflow. I never got the hang of looking up while drawing. I mean, I was okay at it, but it never felt as natural as paper.

I actually find drawing on my tablet PC more enjoyable than traditional media now. I can draw quickly and with a lot of control.

So, if the Cintiq is in your price range, I say it's worth it! I, personally, couldn't afford one and went for an older tablet PC. It works fine for just running my art programs. So I have a Fujitsu Lifebook 5010, I think? It's several years old but it was only like, maybe, $300.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Processors and hardware in tablet PCs are finely up to par and running Photoshop, etc. Battery life, however, still isn't great. Unless you're sold on the larger screen. you may want to wait a month or so for when tablets with better battery life are on the market. I use a Galaxy Note 10.1 and I love it but it cannot run Photoshop so I have to use a watered down alternative and finalize most pieces in PS (on a desktop). Great for the mobility but I'll definitely be watching for am upgrade.

Last edited by Lady Tygry on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a tablet myself; I've tried the Surface Pro and the Galaxy Note, and currently I'm waiting on this new portable tablet that Wacom is supposed to be releasing this summer.

The surface Pro was great and showed that a tablet was exactly what I wanted for my workflow; I could rotate the device as I needed and take it with me anywhere. However I felt that it was some precision problems, and was too inaccurate for its price tag. I think they released an update right around the time I sent mine back.
The Galaxy Note failed to deliver any worthwhile apps for drawing. The best one I found limited me to just three layers. Also it couldn't detect the pen when it is barely away from the screen and I so it kept fudging my picture by reacting to where my hand was.

I have not actually tried a cintiq, and I would like to, but I really can't imagine it being better than a tablet. I want to hold the screen n my hands. That's very important to me.
Kristy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the processing power on my Lifebook leaves a bit to be desired but I can run my art programs (Paint Tool Sai, Manga Studio, Photoshop, and Illustrator) with little issues. I work in pretty high res files and haven't had much problem. Heck, right now I'm coloring art for a 6ft tall banner in Photoshop and it's trucking along just fine.

I opted to get a second battery that slides into my CD drive area instead of having a CD/DVD drive. With that, I get almost 8 hours of battery life on balanced power settings. It's great.
Steve C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb wrote:
...I'm waiting on this new portable tablet that Wacom is supposed to be releasing this summer.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What?

I can't find anything on this. Is there a link about this somewhere? Where can I find info on this potential game changer?

I'm considering a Yiynova, or a Bosto as a Cintiq alternative, because I just cannot justify the Cintiq expense in my mind. ...But a smaller portable screen by Wacom may be the answer I'm looking for!
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve C. wrote:
Marscaleb wrote:
...I'm waiting on this new portable tablet that Wacom is supposed to be releasing this summer.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... What?

I can't find anything on this. Is there a link about this somewhere? Where can I find info on this potential game changer?

I'm considering a Yiynova, or a Bosto as a Cintiq alternative, because I just cannot justify the Cintiq expense in my mind. ...But a smaller portable screen by Wacom may be the answer I'm looking for!

They mentioned this in a social network post. I asked them for more information and they just directed me to the same post. I'll try to dig it up real quick...

EDIT: Here we go.

Quoted from Wacom Americas on Facebook on February 28, 2013:

Quote:
We’ve heard you shouting out loud for a Wacom mobile tablet for creative uses. Well… we’re listening. We’ve read your email and spoken to many about an on-the-go dream device. It will come. This summer. We’re working 24/7 on it. And yes, it has a real pressure-sensitive professional pen, smooth multi-touch, an HD display, and other valuable features that you haven’t seen in other tablets.

That's all they've said.

I recall someone else suggesting that it was going to be about $1000 to $1200 when it launches, but I can't find any official source for that.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve your tattoo comic is beautiful in art and idea. I think generally comics dealing with tattoos are going to be in the ballpark of "get off my lawn" angry old conservative guy...you know, what are these kids doing with all this stupid ink (kind of my thought on it) but yours is a nice defense of it.
Steve C.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marscaleb... I will keep a look out for it. If that's true, then that sounds GREAT! ...the $1,000 price tag is both lamentable and doable. (Cheapskate that I am.) But, it sounds like it will be well worth it!

I'm actually planning a trip to Cambodia later in the year, and if I can take that along on the 16 hour flight to Seoul...man! That'd be great!

Thank you!

Mcmasters... thanks! Yeah, I get annoyed at what people get permanently stamped on their bodies these days. It seems that no one accounts for old age, but that being said, I do love images on the body. I love images of artful patterns, and even calligraphy on the human form. I think it looks somewhat magical, and no doubt this is what many cultures thought throughout human history. ...But the stuff that people get today? Wow. I once saw a grown man will ALL of the Archie's tattooed across his chest... even Moose!

Oh well, it's a free country, right?

Thanks again!
hpkomic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a rather generous tax return and a couple hundred dollars in my account, enough to bite the bullet and buy a used cintiq.

It has changed my life.

Honestly, it's an amazing tool, but it's so expensive. If you can afford it it's worth it.
achaziel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on an Intuos 4 L (best 500 bucks I've spent so far) and I wouldn't change it for the life of me. Provided that it won't spontaneously combust or something. Which I hope it won't. (God, that's a scary thought right there!)

But since you're saying that the cintiq is worth looking into, I might as well do that, should the occasion arise.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing has ever managed to convince me I want a cintiq and I don't think anything ever will! I have my Intuos set up with so many buttons for my convenience, for different programs, so on and so forth.... it's a blast. If I won one, I'd give it a roll, or if I really found my hands hurting I'd think about it though.

I dunno, I've never had a need to look at my hand to see what's happening on the screen and that right there is the call of the Cintiq for those who need it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I dunno, I've never had a need to look at my hand to see what's happening on the screen and that right there is the call of the Cintiq for those who need it.

Oh come on, you have to admit that using an Intuos (or another tablet, for that matter) took some time to get used to. Drawing something without looking at it isn't exactly easy. At least during the first few days or weeks.

Me, I don't NEED to see what my hand is doing now, either. But I don't doubt that drawing directly on a screen would improve my workflow and my overall drawing experience. That's just my two cents, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: