TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split Open Seams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplitOpenSeams

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Split Open Seams Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I just joined this site the other day after someone informed me about it. I'm excited to find other comics to read and hopefully meet some cool people.

My webcomic is called Spilt Open Seams, and it's a drama comic with sci/fi and 'slice of life' roots. It's about the story of three new friends and their lives after college is over.

I started it only two months ago, so I have about 30 comics on the site. Any suggestions/criticism would be great, since this is the first comic I've ever made. I do all the art for it with india ink, brushes, and pens.

http://www.splitopenseams.com/
Kristy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I haven't gotten a chance to read through all of your pages yet but I will tonight.

I just wanted to say that I love that you hand draw your stuff instead of doing it on the computer. I started my comic that way. I was inking with a paintbrush an india ink. I really love the texture and the flaws of something that is hand done. It looks so human that way.

Anyway, I couldn't keep it up because I have a somewhat crazy convention schedule that I've put upon myself so I needed to start using my tablet PC instead. Oh well.

But I like what you're doing. Smile I'll read your story and edit this post later.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site. Very Happy

I'm not the biggest fan of pure black/white traditional comics because I think it makes it harder for them to read, but for the most part I haven't had a problem with this comic. The only part that really threw me for a loop was when she pulled the brick out of her bag, because I was trying to read the text on it.

I really like all of the interesting angles you put in, and the detail on the backgrounds. Even though you're working without colors, you're doing a good job at preventing big open white space in your panels.

I don't want to give much of a crit on the artwork because I don't work with traditional materials very often, so it wouldn't be fair of me. I don't have a strong option on the writing yet either, so I guess I'll say keep doing your thing and have fun.

On your FAQ page you mentioned that you didn't want to have comments open because of moderation issues you might have. It's completely up to you if you want to do that, of course, but comments give your readers a really quick and easy way to say positive things about a page. In my own experience and what I've seen, smaller websites don't have to worry as much about really overly-negative or trollish stuff. Even on YouTube, the videos with low views tend to have civil discussion and comments. And if you're concerned about fighting spambots, I can't recommend Disqus enough as a great comment system that's virtually spam free.

Neat that you're in Omaha, I'm from Lincoln.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for your input!

I've worked with digital stuff in the past, but I really like using ink. It makes it a lot of fun. And as far as the art for it goes: I'm doing my best to make sure I'm at least challenging myself. When I say that, I mean I'm by no means a great artist, but I attempt to draw things that make me uncomfortable. Some turn out okay, and some don't. The same goes for my writing. Besides like school assignments, I've never wrote anything before. So the idea of readable banter, pacing, and story is kind of new to me.
For the longest time I've always wanted to make comics, but I had all these terrible excuses. And I was always waiting until I got better at anatomy, backgrounds, writing... etc. And eventually I just realized that the best way to start doing it is to actually just do it. So I've been putting everything I have to it lately.

Your argument for comments is the best thing I've heard. Most people I asked said they didn't really care or hated them. But what you said made a lot of sense. I'm probably going to look into it a lot more now. Still not sure if I'm swayed 100%. Smile

PS. That's cool, I basically lived in Lincoln last year! I made the trek between Omaha and Lincoln like four times a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: