TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Webcomics With Multiple Storylines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Justinfh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Webcomics With Multiple Storylines Reply with quote

I love it when Webcomics have multiple storylines. It prevents the comic from getting boring. What are you thoughts on Webcomics with multiple storylines?
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think bad writing is what makes the story get boring. The number of storylines doesn't matter to me as long as they're done well.

It irritates me when a story introduces a bunch of characters, leaves off at a suspense point, then introduces a bunch of other new characters. I'd rather have a little bit of closure before being told I need to care about these new people now. That's a personal preference thing, though.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to try multiple storylines you'll have a greater chance at success if you update frequently.

I rotated between three storylines in Chapter Eight of Galaxion, and although I think it works in the archive, while I was posting it-- at the rate of one page a week-- it was tough keeping readers on track.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am on the fence about multiple storylines, myself. It's great when there are multiple subthreads in a plot (gives the author a chance to flesh out more than 3 or 4 characters, and so on), and some of my favourite stories (in comics, movies, novels, etc) have used them, but it definitely doesn't always work.

Skipping to a bunch of new characters the first time is always going to be awkward until the reader gets to know and like them as much as the previously-established set, though I guess if the new characters don't prove to be as likeable as the earlier sets that would be problematic. Also when all of the threads are trying to be at the same level of importance/tension at the same time it can get a little bit wearing if not handled right. For instance, one of the things that annoyed me the most in later chapters of the manga Bleach was how the creator would spend three chapters following one set of characters, then cut to another set, then cut to another set-- one of the sets was clearly the alpha plotline, but the beta plots were taking up just as much if not even more pagetime, and it becomes really frustrating as a reader when it feels like you're wasting time on these other plots. It's not that the other plots were inherently bad (or maybe they were-- it's been a long time since I read that comic and I've forgotten a lot), just that they were given an absolutely ludicrous amount of pagetime relative to their importance to the 'main' plot.

I don't know what the hard-and-fast rules are for juggling multiple plot threads successfully (I do know I fell down on it myself at some point, because I know of at least a couple of people who skimmed through all the pages dealing with the beta plot in my own comic)... hearing more people's thoughts on them could be interesting, it's not a subject I remember discussing before so this whole post is sort of me thinking aloud. XD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
If you're going to try multiple storylines you'll have a greater chance at success if you update frequently.

That's just what I was thinking. I was going over in my mind how well it worked or didn't work comics to be jumping between different stories, but really, the only time it ever worked was when there was basically a new page every day, or at least high-content pages three times a week. But anything less than that becomes mean to the reader.
egypturnash

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try doing what I'm doing: running multiple storylines in parallel on the same page! It's lots of fun. Especially like now, when I have like ten panels on 8x11 page because I've got three or four panels from three stories on it.

I don't actually recommend doing this for the long haul. I'm a hundred pages into it and I keep looking longingly at my notes for other projects, that just have one storyline. It's a cool trick to have in your bag, though.

In general, I feel like "splitting the party" is going to make people much more likely to wait and read your comic in big chunks. It's hard enough to follow what's going on in one story when you only see a couple pages every week.
Justinfh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to technical issues, I had to end up reposting a shit load of older comics. So I've decided to tie them all together into multiple storylines which are pretty much subplots to an even bigger plot. With old comics and new ones combined. I have a little over 50 comics in the buffer. So I've decided to post them five days a week.
minki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does spice things up once the storylines begin to connect. Multiple storylines can get tricky, but more power to you if you can make it work. I sure as hell am trying.
Justinfh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do love the idea of storylines splintering off into more storylines and storylines connecting to each other. Also, all storylines are apart of a bigger story. You have this government on this other planet, trying everything they can to get their hands on a time machine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: