TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yet another newbie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
minki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Yet another newbie Reply with quote

Hello, hello! Name's Minki, though I also go by AOB or Annoying Optional Boss. I've known about the site for a while, so you can call me a lurker in that regard. First and foremost, I'm an undergrad writing major, making me something of a fiction writer-in-training.

And what's writing if you can't be bothered to craft a story you want to tell, eh? As of late, I've realized I wanted to tell a certain story, but also have it materialize in physical form. Art is just the medium to give that which resides in the realm of the ideal physical form and I count my lucky stars each day to be able to work with a wonderful, talented partner, Ryan. Who does not have an account here.

To get to the point, I have a webcomic in the process of being created! It'll feature a tale of a Don Quixote-esque little lagomorph, Cecile, in the modernizing, very made-up city of Loor Galeston. It'll feature insects, birds, fish, and other beasties in a loose rendition of the English Industrial Revolution!

Our launch date is August 10th-ish. The script is finished, but the art and site are underway. I've always wanted to be a cartoonist since childhood and that dream stood strong till now. I suspect that's common here! Very nice meeting all of you like-minded people and, yes, I hope we can be good friends!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy Minki, welcome to the group.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
minki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, McMasters! Anything important that I ought to know about the site before plunging in headfirst?
SamuraiTaiga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minki wrote:
Thanks, McMasters! Anything important that I ought to know about the site before plunging in headfirst?

That it's kind of quiet around here.

But the threads are packed with useful interesting information.

Welcome, I'm sort of new-ish too.
ewomack
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!! Very Happy

All you really need to know is: don't spam, which means posting advertisements for mukluks or jeans.

The only other rule is: post your heart out.

Enjoy!!
minki

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahahah. I don't even know what mukluks are. But you can damn well bet that I've got a lot to say, so that won't be a problem! Not to mention there's a lot, I'm sure, to reply to.

Hopefully my minimal experience with the craft can help out.
nsanelilmunky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewomack wrote:
All you really need to know is: don't spam, which means posting advertisements for mukluks or jeans.

So I can flood you all with sites in an attempt to bring moo-moos back? Awesome.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Very Happy We can always use more people looking for discussion.

August 10th is still a ways away! Do you have any sample art you'd be willing to share?

minki wrote:
I've always wanted to be a cartoonist since childhood and that dream stood strong till now. I suspect that's common here!

You know, I always drew comics as a little kid, but I always wanted to be one of those really realistic fantasy artists. I even got really offended when my high school portfolio teacher said she thought I'd make a good cartoonist, because that wasn't what I wanted.

I just never could get the hang of it though; going without outlines is is almost scary for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minki wrote:

Not really...it's a good collection of minds. Don't be afraid to jump in General Ramblings with non-webcomiky topics if something is on your mind.
minki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
Welcome. Very Happy We can always use more people looking for discussion.

August 10th is still a ways away! Do you have any sample art you'd be willing to share?

minki wrote:
I've always wanted to be a cartoonist since childhood and that dream stood strong till now. I suspect that's common here!

You know, I always drew comics as a little kid, but I always wanted to be one of those really realistic fantasy artists. I even got really offended when my high school portfolio teacher said she thought I'd make a good cartoonist, because that wasn't what I wanted.

I just never could get the hang of it though; going without outlines is is almost scary for me.

Hey! Well, we're starting to compile some art and I've been waiting till we had more to show off before, well, showing off. On tumblr or such.

My partner and artist, Ryan Young, is still waiting on his new scanner. Most of the art is still kept on his end, but well, yeah, I do have some stuff to still show till August! Few pieces:

http://imageshack.us/a/img836/5773/e86m.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/8058/ry87.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/7059/98ho.jpg

Some designs. Cecile, Cecile's parent and brother, and Tidale. Characters by me, original designs drawn by Ryan.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Ryan's style! These characters are gorgeous. I'll definitely have to check this out once it's available. Smile
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another newbie Reply with quote

Nice to meet you newbie.
*tips hat*

Someone mention lagomorphs?
Very Happy

Blog
minki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, shoot. Gah, terribly sorry, MindChimera. For whatever reason, I blanked out before replying to the second part of your post. Very impolite of me.

Actually, I'm surprised. I figured most high school teachers would be the types to encourage realism. Not for any reasons of preference, mind you, but just because getting the fundamentals of realism is always the first step to going a more stylistic direction. In theory.

So color me surprised. I'm assuming that it's the style and aesthetics that captured your attention. But it could be the gritty feel that those stories realistic sci fi stories that captivates you. Either way, are you pursuing more of what you want to do?

also yes, thank you! I... will post, like, a couple sample panels, but mostly concept art over the course of July. Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Nice meeting you, Wendy! And yes, lagomorphs. I'll make it a point not to use the b-word or the r-word ever.
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Minki

I love Ryan's style, very old fashion and lively characters!

Feel at home, and slowly go discovering all the different threads going around. Sometimes, we even look like a bunch of smart people (wink)

Cheers from the Hippo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minki wrote:
Actually, I'm surprised. I figured most high school teachers would be the types to encourage realism. Not for any reasons of preference, mind you, but just because getting the fundamentals of realism is always the first step to going a more stylistic direction. In theory.

It's been so long so I couldn't really say much about it. My guess is that she felt I had enough understanding of stuff like anatomy/shading/etc that I should just play up my strengths. Most of my work in my advanced classes were leaning toward realism, but when I'd do something different, she always enjoyed that more.

minki wrote:
Either way, are you pursuing more of what you want to do?

Yes! I've come to realize that I don't have the patience for realism and that I really like distinguished outlines. I'm very satisfied with my artwork lately, but I'm still looking for ways to improve. Except I don't want to add too much more to my comic's process, since if things keep going the way they have been, I'm not going to have time for two updates a week. I think I've hit a nice point though so I'm not worried.

But I've discovered that my real passion is in writing. I was almost going to say that if I had someone to draw my comic for me in a way that I was satisfied with, I would skip that part. But after typing that out, I decided that no, I want to draw it too. Going over it again during the drawing phase helps me clarify things and make last minute script changes. And I'm not convinced that I would be satisfied with someone else creating the artwork either. Not that I think my art is the greatest thing ever, it certainly isn't; but it's my vision and I think that would most likely be lost in communication.
Also I'm poor and couldn't pay someone to draw nice things for me.

minki wrote:
I'm assuming that it's the style and aesthetics that captured your attention. But it could be the gritty feel that those stories realistic sci fi stories that captivates you.

I really do have an appreciation for all sorts of styles now, but I used to think that realism was just the greatest you could achieve with art. I would have given just about anything to be able to make something like this. I'd thought that doing anything short of realism was just being lazy and giving up too soon.

Now I can see there's more to it than that.

minki wrote:
also yes, thank you! I... will post, like, a couple sample panels, but mostly concept art over the course of July. Fingers crossed!

Great! Hopefully everything will go smoothly for you while you're setting up camp. I'm definitely interested and would love to follow it once it's available.

minki wrote:
I'll make it a point not to use the b-word or the r-word ever.

But "he's such a cute little lagomorph" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: