TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking feedback on art style

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which style is more appealing? (see picture)
A
61%
 61%  [ 8 ]
B
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
not sure it matters
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 13

pdonz2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Seeking feedback on art style Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
My new webcomic, Rudek and the Bear, is kind of a testing ground for me. Every week or so I'm posting a new comic and my reflections on the different techniques and styles I'm trying out.

But I had a specific question that I thought would be good to put to a poll.

I can't decide whether I want to go for a more "realistic" or "cartoony" style with the clothing. I like the look of both, but I'm not sure which reads better.

So here's the same guy, Porucznik Czerep, with his uniform in two different styles. Please vote on A or B. Or, if you have additional thoughts, leave a reply.

Thanks!

dpat57
Ich bin ein webcomicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want the character to appear casually scruffy? The creases in the uniform jacket in A give that impression. If that's who he is, I'd keep drawing it that way. You've taken away the pockets and the cuff buttons in B. If they don't matter and if this saves you a couple of minutes every time, sure, why not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted B. There's too much of a clash for me between the cartoony head and the way more realistic and detailed clothes.
Either way, though - looking good.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they both look fine, I voted A though. I think it fits better with more dramatic and realistic characters, B looks more like a Disney character, something for comedy or cartoon settings. It looks like your comic is trying to be more about grounded humor than wacky insanity, so I'd go with A.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iaviv wrote:
I voted B. There's too much of a clash for me between the cartoony head and the way more realistic and detailed clothes.
Either way, though - looking good.

I had kind of the opposite reaction--the head is pretty dark and detailed in both, and to me that clashes with the blankness of the jacket in B.

Admittedly I'm biased toward the dark and shady.
The Bomb-diggity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for A.

Blog
iaviv

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
I had kind of the opposite reaction--the head is pretty dark and detailed in both, and to me that clashes with the blankness of the jacket in B.

Admittedly I'm biased toward the dark and shady.

Actually, I also don't think there should be that kind of detail anywhere. Not on the face and not on the pants. It's just not effective for comics. I'd rather use stuff like that when it matters, not in every single panel. It's overkill.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted "A" because if you're going to put a cat in pants you should show the effects of his attempt to escape the matching jacket before he just said "To hell with it," and scratched your eyes out.

The correct answer for you, of course, should be, "Whichever style I find strikes a balance between ease of production and matching my theme." I like your color palette, by the way. It sets a very effective non-Bloc Cold War Eastern European vibe.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I like the second one better, but the question is are you willing to make the rest of the characters and background as detailed as the first one if you use it. That would be added work to no great gain unless you just really like that look."

-Chairman Meow

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
pdonz2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback!!!
It gave me a lot to think about. What I ultimately ended up trying on this week's comic was a kind of combination--more detailed in the folds of the clothing, but spot-blacks favored over hatching.

I also went totally black on the cat's coloring...

here's the resulting style:

It took me ALL DAY to make. Don't know if I will keep using so detailed a style, but I like how it came out. Thanks everyone for your input, it was all seriously considered.

Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you went with better than the vote options, the solid black shading works really well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That final look turned out great. Way better than I would've expected until I saw it. Good combination. And I learn something new.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks nice!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot cast a vote for either, because my answer doesn't come down to how the characters look, it comes down to what you are trying to create.

The military outfits make me think you might be going with a very serious tone; something along the lines of Maus where you are telling deep and important tales with an animal theme. In this case I'd say A; it has added detail and realism and looks darker.
But maybe you're going for something as dark and serious as Hogan's Heros. In which case, B.

The thing to bear in mind is that you are using an inking technique for your shadows; that makes your entire image look darker and dirtier. With that in mind, the real answer to your question is how dark, dirty, and serious do you want your comic to look? The darker and dirtier, the more details and shadows you want. The more lighthearted you want your comic to feel, the fewer shadows and details you want.

And by no means do you have to keep the amount of shading consistent. You only need to keep things relatively similar. This leaves you free to change the tone as needed for each page, or even each panel. (For best effect, try to keep it to pages over panels, as to avoid too sudden of a change.) So if you wanted to give a flashback of someone's happy childhood in the old country, you would have very light shading just done around edges. Then when they move into the harder real-world around them today, the shadows become stronger.
There's no rule that says you need to keep a consistent tone in your comic.

Above all else keep this single rule in mind: Think about emotion.

If someone was looking at your comic without being able to read, what would they suppose the emotion to be?
I'm looking at that fourth panel where the guard is pointing his gun at the civilians. I don't know the context of that scene. But with very strong shadows I'd assume it to be a heart-wrenching scene from a very dramatic piece. With very light shadows (and perhaps a few other details) I might take it to be a humorous exchange of an incompetent guard going overboard.
Try to make the comic something that can be followed without having to read the words in the bubbles. (To an extent.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: