TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to engage people to like your webcomic's Fb Page?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: How to engage people to like your webcomic's Fb Page? Reply with quote

Just wondered...

(The quality of the content is not in debate, obviously a webcomic needs to be cool to be liked)
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this a lot, too. I think there are a few things you can do. You have to give people things on Facebook that they don't get on your site.

We post preview images and covers and occasionally direct people to new web-comics we find. We also post quotes from upcoming issues and the like, in addition to the standard "HAY WE UPDATED YAY!" posts.

But really I don't think FB likes is a great indicator of how you're doing. We've been growing our hit count from 100/day to 250+/day over the past month but only garnered 4 new likes.

www.kachingcomic.com
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't messed with FB too much yet but one of the writers with whom I work uses his FB as a sort of incentive. In his case, his comics are all original riddles. People who want to guess need to 'like' the page and submit to him the correct answer to be considered. He then chooses one of the correct answers at random and awards that person a prize-- Amazon gift cards, I think.

Maybe you could offer some sort of occasional incentive-- not much different from any other site's FB page AND it doesn't have to cost you money. Every month or so, ask people to 'like' the page and comment on something. Those who do can be considered for a prize, be it an original piece of art from the comic or a free commission from you (set your ground rules in advance). Previews are nice as well but it just depends on how you want your traffic directed. For example, I post a couple pages a week on a story-based webcomic-- posting these on FB would not be as conducive owing to spoilers; however, FB readers may enjoy desktops and stand-alone illustrations.
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I agree that fb isn't the best tool when it comes to supporting webcomics but still it's the only public acknowledgment of how your comic is doing. I mean I spend a looot of time on analytics which is quite exhilarating but only available for the founder of the website so...

I'll try some incentives on my fb page, free massages and stuff. Should work.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't messed with Facebook much myself yet, either. I'm naturally introverted so I've never been very inclined toward social media, but I know it's helpful in building an audience.

An idea I just got from looking at my work's Facebook page is putting up pictures without text and asking for captions. Wouldn't be hard to make a single panel of your characters doing something odd/funny without text and ask for captions.

If you get any fan art you like, you could also share it there.
CardboardCrack

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post all my comics to Facebook and find it's a great way to get viral traffic. I just make sure there is a link back to my site with each pic.

http://cardboard-crack.tumblr.com/
QueenAmanda

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with friends and family, especially the ones that have ever made me like any pages.

Then, again, I'm friends with comedians and filmmakers.

Other than that, I did put it on Twitter... once... I should probably do that again, because it worked. I got a few likes from that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: