TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Talk About Project Wonderful
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Let's Talk About Project Wonderful Reply with quote

We just started advertising/getting advertisements for our comic. What I'd like to talk about is what folks have found as the best strategy for a new/almost-zero-budget comic on PW.

I'm able to give about $30/month to advertising for now. I found a couple of comics that specifically fit our voice and then bid on those, and otherwise used a campaign. I went through the filters, then weeded out comics that didn't fit our audience/I didn't really like (so sue me...). My campaign got $.15 CPC, but the targeted comics both got under $.10.

What strategies have others used? Have they worked? Are there times of the day people generally get more/fewer hits? Anyone tried something similar to me with different results?

Let's accelerate our collective PW knowledge!

...also shameless plug for my comic at www.kachingcomic.com
iaviv

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even know what campaigns are... :/

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, they're super-useful! Basically PW will bid on sites for you of the type you specify, so you don't always have to be going in and manually bidding. You can control which sites the campaign will bid on and how much it will bid, etc.

But I'm new at it, and I'm guessing there's a lot more I could learn from folks who've been at this awhile.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new too and haven't done any aggressive advertising at all, so I'd be interested in seeing what others have to say.

I have one campaign going at the moment, and I'm limiting myself to $5 a month for ads. Its max bid is 0.01 a day, so it basically just looks for cheap placement in my search criteria.

After a month, that's gotten me about 31 unique hits. So I think it's all right for a few pennies a day.

I was selectively bidding on a few, but the results were really mixed and I don't have the time to experiment with that right now. Maybe once summer starts I can play with it a bit more.
iaviv

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking through the help regarding campaigns on the PW site and... well...there is no "campaign" button. I looked over and over. Nothing. I followed the instructions on the site.
So. What am I doing wrong? I would really like to try this campaign business.
Needs to post more

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for places to bid. On the screen when the results come up, look for a link that says "bid on these sites with a campaign?" underneath the results. This will take you to the campaign setup.

Z7 - PodWarp 1999
iaviv

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

axonite wrote:
Do a search for places to bid. On the screen when the results come up, look for a link that says "bid on these sites with a campaign?" underneath the results. This will take you to the campaign setup.

Ahhhh I finally see it! Thanks.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I still use Project Wonderful and I still think it's a great resource, the real bonanza seems to have ended in the past 6 months. Some of the really popular sites pulled off and now I have to spend twice the money I used to for the same amount of hits. Too bad, because it's a great site and really easy to use, but the bargains with the big payoffs are no longer there.

I used to run ads, mostly leaderboards, at least every other week. Now I often forget to run them and will go weeks without advertising. I can still get 100 - 150 unique clicks in an evening, but I used to consistently get 300 - 400 easily for half the cost. Oh well.

Though that's probably not very helpful, that's how I've gone about advertising - rather chaotically.
The Hat and Fat

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've looked at PW a few times, trying to do my homework, but each time I feel like I understand less about it. I'm not even sure where to start. How to bid. What to bid on. Making sure I'm not getting myself in a bind.
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it takes a lot of experimentation to get it really working for you -- I'm still not sure I've got my ads in the best places. But it is really easy to just sign up and get started; the website is clearly laid out and the tutorials are pretty good. But it's definitely a little overwhelming.

I think it's also a great tool to find comics that might want to swap links or do guest spots with you. With Jetpack in Wordpress you can see which sites generate the most hits off of your ads -- I usually go read those comics and try to get in touch with the creators if I like it.

www.kachingcomic.com
Aglari

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the payout work as a publisher? Do you keep some set percentage of the bids on your site, or is it more complicated than that?
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I understand, you get to keep all* of what you earn from your ad boxes.

It puts the money you make into a running total on your account, and withdrawals have to be a minimum of $10.00 (or whatever currency you're going with). Withdrawing any amount from this total to a Paypal account costs you $1. So, ideally, you'd wait a while before withdrawing to get the highest return.

I haven't withdrawn anything yet, but that's how it reads, anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Aglari

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $1 withdrawal fee seems more just to offset the money transfer fees that they themselves have to deal with. It sounds way too good to be true that it's the only cut they take from the ad money getting passed all around the site.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aglari wrote:
The $1 withdrawal fee seems more just to offset the money transfer fees that they themselves have to deal with. It sounds way too good to be true that it's the only cut they take from the ad money getting passed all around the site.

You have to consider the person who created and manages PW. Ryan North is one of those kids (I say, "kids," but he's probably at least pushing thirty by now) that turned the internet from a smorgasbord of jangly mauve dancing hamster sites into a broad interactive pavilion.

Yes, they made Something Awful and 4chan into things that exist, but they also created Blender, Malwarebytes, and WordPress. North himself created Project Wonderful and Oh No Robot (a webcomic transcription program and database) both while regularly updating Dinosaur Comics and holding down a real job (it's important to note the DC is a PW subscriber, so, while he's only getting maintenance from the minimal fees, he is benefitting from the program over-all).

So, yeah, a healthy suspicion is probably a good thing, but sometimes you just have to admit that the person you're dealing with is a good guy.
Aglari

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casual Notice wrote:
aglari wrote:

You have to consider the person who created and manages PW. Ryan North is one of those kids (I say, "kids," but he's probably at least pushing thirty by now) that turned the internet from a smorgasbord of jangly mauve dancing hamster sites into a broad interactive pavilion.

Yes, they made Something Awful and 4chan into things that exist, but they also created Blender, Malwarebytes, and WordPress. North himself created Project Wonderful and Oh No Robot (a webcomic transcription program and database) both while regularly updating Dinosaur Comics and holding down a real job (it's important to note the DC is a PW subscriber, so, while he's only getting maintenance from the minimal fees, he is benefitting from the program over-all).

So, yeah, a healthy suspicion is probably a good thing, but sometimes you just have to admit that the person you're dealing with is a good guy.

Its not about being mean or greedy, Project Wonderful has expenses so to stay afloat they have to get money from somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: