TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuck in the Internet Loop again?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Stuck in the Internet Loop again? Reply with quote

Aaah, guilt...

HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always wondering if long strips are a bit discouraging when it comes to webcomics... I use a lot of long stories in Hubert&Wellington, and somehow I think it can be less efficient in terms of "hooking" the reader than a four panel strip.

What do you think?
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine are all different lengths. If it's supposed to be funny and you think it's funny I would make it as long as it needs to be. Minor adjustments are okay but I wouldn't shortchange myself. You can probably never make a strip short enough to meet everyone's attention span.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
MindChimera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reader, I don't think I've ever been detered from the size of a comic strip. I agree with what mcmasters said. And I know other comics do this every now and then too.

I was looking through your comic yesterday and read that strip, and didn't think anything about the size. So I'd say don't worry about it, and use your space however you want.

I would say matching a set space matters if you're thinking about printing a book. Having drastically different sized strips might make things more complicated then, and even so, you might still be okay. But if you're staying strictly web, then take advantage of it.
Top Secret Press Inc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the size of the strip (pause for drum roll) but the way you use it!
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like drawing comics but my mind's usually in the gutters.
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in a way it's also part of the "getting more synthetic" process to try and write shorter strips.

Stories are really good to create a universe and characters, but it's really cool too to be able to hit the right spot in a few words.

That Sheldon comic is really good, the Goat thing made me laugh!
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pete strip is actually quite good. Rational women vs childish grownup dudes is alwayyyys working Smile
The Hat and Fat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with a webcomic, it's the freedom of the internet that's most appealing. Make it long or short. Going left, right, down. It doesn't matter. That's the beauty.
HubertandWellington

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For instance this one is shorter and has pigeons with afros...

two_twerps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered the same thing myself. I've found that some of the shorter things I've done have got more views and more feedback, but then, obviously, it's hard to know whether that's coincidentally just down to my longer comics being a bit rubbish.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HubertandWellington wrote:
For instance this one is shorter and has pigeons with afros...

Depends on the material though. It's hard to see how you could have made the first one shorter. The whole point of the first one is the endless content of the internet that can suck up large chunks of your life (guilty here) so that had to be drawn out (no pun intended).

The Hat and Fat wrote:
I think with a webcomic, it's the freedom of the internet that's most appealing. Make it long or short. Going left, right, down. It doesn't matter. That's the beauty.

I agree but I think a lot of our minds tend towards consistency and symmetry so however we format one we tend to want to format the rest. Mine does anyway. I could draw the random one-panel gag for Pete I guess but it just wouldn't feel like a Pete comic.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a difference between having a long comic strip that's fine that way and overshooting your joke. With the first comic you posted, if you'd cut out some of the panels, you could get the same joke for less build-up. I know the joke for that strip is in the build-up, so it doesn't really bother me, but with the right cutting, you can get the same effect without making it look huge.

The pigeon thing is interesting. I have a pet cockatiel that occasionally bobs his head when he walks, and I know that his eyes can move. Maybe that's more of an evolutionary habit for him then.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
I think there's a difference between having a long comic strip that's fine that way and overshooting your joke. With the first comic you posted, if you'd cut out some of the panels, you could get the same joke for less build-up. I know the joke for that strip is in the build-up, so it doesn't really bother me, but with the right cutting, you can get the same effect without making it look huge.

But the effect comes from the build-up, so you wouldn't get the same effect if you cut it down. It would be different if shorter, a different kind of funny maybe, but that one had to be droning and ponderous before the punchline.

Opinions differ and it's fun breaking down humor; we should have threads like this more often.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmasters wrote:
But the effect comes from the build-up, so you wouldn't get the same effect if you cut it down. It would be different if shorter, a different kind of funny maybe, but that one had to be droning and ponderous before the punchline.

Well yeah, that's kind of what I said. Smile I see that this is a joke that needs a build up, but I still think it's overshot.

I didn't have the time to cut it up earlier, but now that I'm off work, here's how I think it should look:

Since I took out the reference to YouTube, you could change panel 5 to include it. (I would have edited that in, but I'm on a laptop with no mouse and don't feel like dealing with MS Paint.)

He mentions Facebook in panel 5, so you really don't need the next three panels to explain more about Facebook.

Note that the strip is still long, but it's shorter now. I know the joke needs the length to make its point, but also remember that the type of people that will be reading webcomics are probably already familiar with this concept, so dragging your feet in getting to the punch line could lose interest.

Imo, don't be afraid to make a long comic strip. But editing and cutting is also a part of the fine-tuning process.

mcmasters wrote:
Opinions differ and it's fun breaking down humor; we should have threads like this more often.

I agree. Very Happy There's a lot of different types of humor and styles of writing/art/etc so everyone has their own approach, and it's neat to see how other people think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: