TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How buff is your buffer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: How buff is your buffer? Reply with quote

Mine's pretty beefy. Probably because of two factors, A, it's a hobby so I enjoy doing it and B, Webcomic Pete isn't that hard to produce. Writing is fun so I write them in batches, drawing is less fun but not difficult. Coloring is done really quick, as they are black and whites. Lettering and computerizing them is the biggest hassle, but it's a quick hassle.

Today I sorted through all the upcoming Petes that are done, half-done, half-drawn, half-scanned, half-lettered, and half-assed. I could pump what I have into ComicPress and not need another until early June.

Not working in collaboration also works to my advantage. So, I'm curious: how far in advance do you guys work? I suppose some of the really detailed and amazing ones are on a short leash.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
QueenAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update once a week. My first 12 scripts are written and delivered to the artist. So my buffer kills.

I have this Tuesday's and next Tuesday's actual completed pages, which isn't great but I'm still covered for at least two weeks.

And the buffer and scheduling and having a team has already worked to my advantage. It's only week 3, but I was in the hospital this week and my webcomic still updated on time - which made me feel so professional.

(And I'm okay, but apparently hypothermia can happen if you stupidly decide to sleep outside and it rains and it's cold.)
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buffer? What is a buffer? Rolling Eyes

OK, as a writer, I have story for about 8 years in web-comic time. I have written two large story arcs.

As a ready-for-artist script, I have at least one or two months ahead, as I tweak the story as I see it in pictures.

As a web-comic team, we suck. My artist usually works on a weekly basis, and she keeps no buffer at all. I have tried to make a buffer but we mostly go on her schedule. She is usually good at keeping schedule, except when student life eats up all her time...

Sigh

Cheers from the Hippo

ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty healthy at the moment, depending on your definition of a completed page. I have six pages inked, and another four penciled. I only update once a week, so that'll last me a while.

However, I habitually don't do the final stage of Photoshop clean-up and adding the colour (until just last month, it was adding the grey tones) until the Sunday before the page goes up. So none of those pages are exactly finished, but the hard part is done. I could post them as-is if I had to.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working with about six weeks in advance worth of updates but now, I'm down to two weeks. On top of being busy, I haven't been as motivated lately. Fully-colored and updated twice a week. I tend to work in bursts then crash. I'm also still messing with the paneling: because it's action-oriented, I like to squeeze in as many panels as possible. I'm hoping to tone it down during the quiet scenes, at least, and that will cut down on time considerably. The goal is to get as much done as I can in my eight weeks off come summer-time and use the extra time to start advancing an older project.

Now, as for the comic where my only involvement is the art: those updates are good up through August 2014, I think.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as buff as I'd like it. I have the next three pages ready to post, and I'm planning to have another finished by tomorrow night. I usually can make two a week, sometimes three, and since I post two a week, it usually works out pretty well.

I'm actually concerned right now about my buffer. Next weekend I'm going to be house-sitting for my mom so I'll be away from my desktop, which is where I do all my work. With school, I don't really have time during the week to do a whole page. I'm thinking I'm going to work on my laptop, but I'm not sure how it'll handle it, and I already know I'll be frustrated working on a smaller monitor.

If push comes to shove, I have enough of a buffer to make it through that week, but if something else came up, I'd be playing catch up.

It doesn't help that I'm also getting pickier and more detailed as I go along, so I think each page is taking more time. But I'm also not timing myself, so who knows for sure.

QueenAmanda wrote:
(And I'm okay, but apparently hypothermia can happen if you stupidly decide to sleep outside and it rains and it's cold.)

Yikes! Glad to hear you're okay.
Aglari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a buffer because I'm way too excited when I finish pages to keep them to myself, and because I haven't figured out a stable update schedule yet.

So when I bust my butt and manage to get 3 pages out in a week somehow, I decide to post all 3 and then get it in my head that I can make 3 pages every week.

Turns out I cant...
MindChimera

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aglari wrote:
I don't have a buffer because I'm way too excited when I finish pages to keep them to myself...

That's how I usually am about art stuff, and that's a very hard feeling to ignore. Razz I'm really glad that I work with a buffer with my comic though.

Usually I'll crank out a page in one or two sittings, then put the file for the web in a folder and not look at it again until I'm getting ready for it. And it's usually then that I discover errors that I hadn't noticed before.

Things like his hand doesn't look very natural, her face could look better than that, oh I forgot to put pens in all the scientists' pockets again...
Aglari

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
Usually I'll crank out a page in one or two sittings, then put the file for the web in a folder and not look at it again until I'm getting ready for it. And it's usually then that I discover errors that I hadn't noticed before.

Hehe, honestly I don't have an excuse. My website guy has already set it up so that when I upload pages I can just pick the date and time it'll show up, but recently I've just been ignoring that and clicking "NOW"
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit over three months, but only because I'm now updating only twice a week, instead of three times a week.
I really need this buffer. It won't be long before I'll have very little time to work on this comic.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mu buffer for the new comic is at -9 updates.
iaviv

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Casual Notice - Your buffer is time-traveling?
Needs to post more

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine varies... Sometimes it's a couple weeks, sometimes there really isn't one.

Z7 - PodWarp 1999
Lavenderbard
^_^

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's at about 250 pages.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's at a whopping 0 pages~

Never had one, to be honest. I've never been one to worry about life getting in the way, or missing a week or what have you. My comic was born out of the chaos of college, and chaotic it will remain. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: