TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Twerps Blog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
two_twerps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Two Twerps Blog Reply with quote

Howdy!

I've recently started a new blog entitled Two Twerps - http://twotwerps.wordpress.com/.

The blog was initially created to chart the progress of an ongoing comic I have started working on with an artist friend, however as he's away working on an exhibition the blog has quickly developed into more of a webcomic. I'm essentially a writer, rather than an artist, so the artwork is just as ropey as you'd expect form someone that feels the need to preface the posting of a link by telling you they can't draw.

Every week I post a little self contained comic strip I've done myself and hope that it might generate a bit of interest, a few 'followers' and that my grandparents don't read it. Truthfully my main concern is that my profoundly conservative grandparents don't read it Laughing

Anyhoo, someone suggested this forum (which looks pretty ace by the way) and so I thought I'd see what people think.

http://twotwerps.wordpress.com/

On an unrelated note, do many people on here use wordpress? What's a respectable 'follower' count? Obviously I'm not generating content just so people follow my blog, but if I only have a fraction of the number that 99% of comic bloggers have then it's probably safe to conclude I'm doing something wrong...or that my grandparents have been around to people's houses and told them not to encourage my filthy output (that's not a euphemism by the way)

Mark
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -- looks like you've got a pretty good handle on building a readership base. Each comic seems to have progressively more "likes," so you're building a following, which is good. I actually like the art; it's simple but charming, and fits your voice as a writer.

The main drawback to using a free blogging platform like the basic Wordpress blog is that it's really limited. Most webcomic folk pay for a domain name and use the Wordpress platform. There's a plugin called ComicPress that makes it super-easy (usually) to make a good-looking site. It displays your comics in a big and beautiful format. The biggest issue I see on your site is that most of the comics are really hard to read; to see the words I have to click on the image, and when I zoom in I have to scroll up and down and side to side. It's a pain. ComicPress solves this.

If you're serious about your comic and want to reach a broader audience, I'd suggest looking into registering a domain and using ComicPress. For building an audience, sites like this and TopWebComics.com are good places to start (beyond the obligatory Facebook page), and Project Wonderful works if you wanna get some paid ads going.

Don't take my word for it, though; this is pretty much regurgitation of research I've been doing because my webcomic's pretty new, too. Shameless plug: www.kachingcomic.com (which uses Comicpress!)
mcmasters

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ka-Ching wrote:
For building an audience, sites like this and TopWebComics.com are good places to start

Ka Ching- or anyone- what's your experience with TopWebComics? The forum looks completely overrun with spam. Anything to gain by joining their site?

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
two_twerps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions Ka-Ching, really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I totally agree with what you said about the slightly annoying way in which my images are displayed on my blog. I guess in reality clicking on a picture to view it isn't all that annoying, but I realise that when you're trying to entice people into checking your stuff out any little hurdle you present can be enough to make people turn away from your blog. I will definitely check out ComicPress.

PS Your webcomic looks really good, the artwork is awesome!
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the forums there aren't terribly useful. But they do allow you to do some neat stuff. It's highly-trafficked, so if you get your comic up there and manage to get the votes up reasonably high you'll start to see hits through it. Ka-Ching just got up into the top 500 and we're starting to see more hits trickle through. If you make the Top 100 you're on their front page and I'd imagine you would start gaining readers pretty quickly.

You can also write "articles" and submit them to the mods -- who will then post them on the left sidebar. Most of these articles are written by creators about their new web-comics, and they're basically free advertising. Might take awhile for yours to float to the top but it's worth it.

They also sell ad space by impressions. So you can pay like 50 bucks for 300,000 guaranteed impressions. With Project Wonderful, you're paying by the day with no guaranteed number of impressions.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm registered and ranked. Webcomic Pete made the top 100,000. I'm 11 thousand something. Climb the ladder, Monty...[/Mr. Burns]

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right! Once you're up, you can get the code to put a button on your page, which will make it way easy for your readers to vote for you. You can also give voting incentives. We put up a desktop background that's only available if you vote for us, for instance. Anything to get ahead.

Also, we put up a new page today! Hooray! Still on schedule!

www.kachingcomic.com
two_twerps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out of town for a few days - then spent the last 24 hours trying to produce a comic for Monday's update (such a rock n roll life I lead), but I have just, finally, checked out comic press. It looks really good! I will definitely be downloading it. Do I need a paid account with wordpress to use it, rather than just the free version? I plan to buy a domain name in the next week or so anyway, but was curious as to whether I need to wait until I have that sorted before I can start using comicpress.
Ka-Ching

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ComicPress is a "theme" for the Wordpress blogging platform. So far as I know, it only works with Wordpress for domain sites, not the free Wordpress blog sites.

The thing can be a bit fiddly at first, but if you need help I'm sure most people here are quite seasoned in ComicPress and would help ya out. There's also tons of how-to's spread out across interwebs.
two_twerps

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I did a little more researching last night. I think I'll take the plunge with it this weekend. Hopefully it'll make my blog a little more user friendly.
The Hat and Fat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to state that the Two Twerps blog is great! Even if the writer isn't the artist, his "strips" are very good, and not the same old, same old that you find in a lot of webcomics.
mcmasters

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the complaints already mentioned about the size of the different strips and the tiny font, I'll add that I really like these. Weird and funny. Love the Charles Manson one.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
two_twerps

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that's very much appreciated!

Also, just to clarify, all of the comic strips on there are drawn by me, as well as written. The blog was initially set up as a little behind the scenes thing for a bigger project I'm working on with someone else...an actual illustrator. Thankfully that guy can actually draw, but he's working on an exhibition at the minute, but once we're back to working on that expect some artwork that isn't quite so ropey.
two_twerps

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my latest comic has lead to me being asked by a small South African girl (who likes to draw pandas, apparently) to explain to her what genocide is!

I'm not sure if I should class this as a good or bad thing, but I'm strangely pleased with that result.

Anyway, in case you're interested in what lead to this please check out my latest comic...

http://twotwerps.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/the-art-of-joke-telling-according-to-an-idiot/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> The "Check out my comic" forum! All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: