TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TAPASTIC Anybody use that?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Secret Press Inc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: TAPASTIC Anybody use that? Reply with quote

I recently ran across Tapastic. They actually pay for hits to your web comic. Hard to believe really. Somebody actually told me they had made money, so it does not appear to be a scam. However, how long will the money hold out before they decide to raise the hits to 100,000? Or something unreachable.

I know a lot of us are just starting out, so I thought it would be cool to pass it on to those that could use it.
[/img]

Last edited by Top Secret Press Inc on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
mcmasters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TAPASTIC Anybody use that? Reply with quote

Top Secret Press Inc wrote:
I notice some people use the comments in forums to bolster their hits. They will post something like, "Wow! what a great comic!" (even if its crap) that way you click on their banner and go to their comic and hopefully run up their hits. Its smart but deceptive in a way.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the website for Tapastic.

I did a lot of research on them, and I found the lack of objective 3rd party information rather alarming. It seems like it will be a great deal for comic creators, until the money runs out. So, if you do webcomics and are willing to market yourselves aggressively, do it. But be sure to be an early adopter, if you want to get the big cash bonuses, which last until the end of April.

Personally, I feel really sorry for the investors who put $750K in seed money for this project. As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be anything special in terms of monetizing the site, and I haven't gotten the impression that anyone there really knows what will be sustaining the site in the long-term. As of yet, their claims of reaching out to a more mainstream market beyond the webcomic niche do not seem to be materializing. Instead the majority of their promotional efforts seem to be focused on the efforts of the artists to drive traffic towards the site.

I am an outsider, so I don't know all the inner details of Tapastic, but as someone who made money on webcomics ancilliaries (until I stopped touring -- which pretty much killed the gravy train,) this just doesn't seem sustainable. If someone from Tapas Media is willing to comment, I'd really like some convincing that this isn't going to be the Boo.com of webcomics.

Last edited by vaslittlecrow on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top Secret Press Inc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the same thing. If they are paying 15 salaries, that runs out half the money before the year is out. I figure they are market researching how many hits the average comic gets, then push the limit just above the normal obtainable limit and then start charging for the service. Market Reserch is expensive, what they are paying people now is chicken feed in comparison. I can see how that saves money, but how do they plan to make it? Advertising?

Just to be clear, I too am not an insider and this is speculation.
Spencey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look at their site. Let me highlight this part...

"We plan on continuing Performance-based Compensation Plan until we introduce a revenue-sharing plan for our Members."

While I don't claim to be able to predict the future, I wouldn't expect very high payouts (if any) when this switchover occurs. My guess from reading the FAQs is that the switchover will happen at the end of April.

I would advise anyone else considering this to read their terms and conditions very carefully and think about what they are *actually* promising. More importantly I would advise paying particular attention to any revisions they make to their terms and conditions in future once their financial backers start to put pressure on them to see a return on their investment.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only people that usually benefit from a start up project, at least benefit enough to matter, are the founders and the backers. Everyone else usually gets little more than vittles.
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very strange. They don't seem to have a revenue model, but at the same time they have no page for investment. It's almost as if Tapastic concept is designed just to get people looking at the Tapas Media website, but with no other strategy.

I almost wonder if it isn't a money-laundering front.
vaslittlecrow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found something on Tapastic outside of the geek world:
http://tv.ibtimes.com/ceo-wants-change-way-you-read-web-comics-10175

Everything sounds like the same old, same old evasive, unfocused answers until the VERY end of the interview.

I'm sorry, but $10,000 bonus at the end of the month during a trial period doesn't sound worth risking being at the receiving end of what this guy is proposing as a creator. Now I am convinced that this platform is both a content AND traffic grab. But, I am pretty sure it will be profitable for someone, provided they don't screw up royally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: