TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you put your webcomic on your resume?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubeytoons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Do you put your webcomic on your resume? Reply with quote

Just wonderin
Kail

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck no. Usually the only place it might go is under something like "outside interests" or some other fluff category, where instead I generally just say "art" or "drawing" because "comics" has too much of a kid vibe and most people either don't know what "webcomics" are or only know Penny-Arcade/XKCD.

The only place I might mention it would be if I was applying for a comic related job, and even then, I personally wouldn't do it because my comic sucked. I'd sooner throw together a portfolio with a few good pages and give a link to that then show them my hundred pages of "how do I internet".
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no.

I've yet to put in on an actual resume per se, but I have a portfolio section on my website, and I showcase some of my work there. In said showcase, I select the particular elements that actually relate to the subject at hand.
This is not the same thing as listing my comic on a resume, but it is similar.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but on occasion, I've mentioned that I've maintained an art-related website for several years, though I'm more referring to the freelance work than the comic. Other times, people have been curious as to why I have such a long list under my computer skills (as someone in the education field, there's a typicality that we're afraid of technology) and it boils down to that I needed to learn those things to achieve what I wanted in my personal pursuits. They seem satisfied with that and we change subjects=)

As Kail said, I wouldn't outright mention that I run a webcomic simply because of the negative connotation. There are more relevant ways to convince them that I'm capable of reaching deadlines and that I have hobbies so I don't go crazy.
Spencey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I graduated I had no relevant experience and struggled to get a job, so I decided to think outside the box. I made a version of my CV (Resume) that was covered in comics and other artwork. I immediately got an interview due to one of the interview panel wanting to meet the odd-ball who submitted the wacky application. I talked about comics in the interview alongside the serious answers to their questions to prove I was capable of doing the job. I got it.

That was ten years ago and my career to date has been built on that job. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain by making my application stand out from the crowd.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome, Spencey! Smile

Generally, my advice is to tailor your resume to the employer you're hoping to impress. In some cases having info about a webcomic would be a distraction from the information you most want the employer to see, and in others it would make you seem more interesting or possibly even be directly relevant. I do like your approach, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool; I'm extremely jealous. My real life has nothing to do with art or webcomics so it would be nothing but confusing, and possibly negative, to put my comic on a resume.

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
Spencey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the job I got was in system support, a job that had no graphics involvement whatsoever. However, I used the comic to talk about running a website, administering user accounts, policing data quality, etc. As ttallan says, you have to tailor what you have to what they are looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but my comic hasn't been up for very long. I am working on a programming degree though, and since I built my website from scratch, it could be a good sample of my knowledge later on.

I did do some blogging for a very short period of time, and actually submit one of my blog posts with my resume to get my current job. The topic was over video games which has nothing to do with what I do, but it demonstrated my writing abilities, which helped me get the job.

So I agree, thinking creatively can really help you stand out amongst other applicants, but mostly if you're still relevant to what the job calls for.
Varethane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't talk about it at length, but at the bottom of the resume where I put in a mention of interests and skills I threw in a mention, mostly as an example to show I'm capable of maintaining an ongoing project and keeping myself motivated to work consistently even over years. (Not to mention using it as a tool to keep my drawing, storyboarding, and writing skills improving steadily instead of languishing between projects).

I don't include the comic itself directly in my portfolio because this would look woefully (hilariously) out of place beside anything here, though I do have several related illustrations in there.
Grand prize winner!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have and I have no plans to. My comic has nothing to do with my career, so for me personally it would just look like padding. But if your site looked great (meaning that multiple people you don't know personally have told you it looks great) then you could include it on a graphic design or webdesign resume as a portfolio piece. Apart from that, I would generally avoid putting personal "hobby" websites on resumes. Of course, if your site generates 1,000,000 hits a year and brings in $100,000 then you would probably want to include that - but then the company will wonder why you're even applying for the job... but a lot depends on one's personal situation.
tomthumb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would.

Mainly because the comic I've been working on required a lot of collaboration with the artist (i'm the writer) and we also put a beautiful website together so it could be a proof of good communication skills and production. Hell, getting anything out there speaks to the good.
Lo (Aquapunk)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my current boss even looked at my resume-- he's told me that all he did was check out my website. But I think art jobs live on a different planet than most other kinds.

But yeah, I put it on my resumes. (It's pretty much entirely comprised of weird categories anyways.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I would, at least not yet... I like to keep it and other works separate. Right now it's still in the hobby stage.
QueenAmanda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will once it's been around for awhile, for various reasons.

Firstly, I don't draw my own webcomic or manage my own site. I have a team. I have an artist and I have a webmaster, and when they run into problems, they come to me. It's a pretty sweet deal. I just write and tell people what to do.

Secondly, depending how well I do advertising my webcomic on social media, that will directly translate to a very useful skill.

Thirdly, I'm kind of unemployed, with a major lull in my freelance work. It will fill in part of an employment gap.

And I'm pretty sure lastly, the last actual job I had, we discussed comics in the interview. It's one way that I can stand out in a positive way and feel like I'm me, and not some woman-child putting on a show for the adults, which makes me interview better.

Anything can be good for your career if you know how to spin it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: