TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using to create your comic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest permutation is Winsor & Newton watercolors over pencils. Now I don't have to ruin my nice pencil lines with my clumsy inking--plus, color! Although I've been horribly abusing my Ultramarine Blue (Green Shade):

Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then, I see a piece of art that is just too good. Then, of course, I learn a caveat: the artist just started trying a new medium, or was never trained, or paints with her eyelashes because she's been in a coma for twenty years and eyelash painting is her only means of expression to the outside world.

These are the times that I understand classic villains. Not modern villains—Ralph Fiennes' megalomaniacal sociopaths and Gabriel Byrne's detached businessmen are pretty simplistic. I mean seriously ultimate evil villains: The Wicked Witch of the West, Sauron, Ming the Merciless. The level of villainy that makes someone go balls out to crush something that doesn't make a difference to that person's actual needs or desires, but just wants it crushed because it is beautiful and good and something that person could never achieve.

So, yeah. You've helped me understand ultimate evil, smbhax. I hope you're proud of yourself.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioning me alongside the mighty Ming? You make me blush, sir! ... Uh well I'd do that blushing emoticon if I remembered how. : P ... I bet Ming used to blush all the time. >_>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand draw mine and then I color it with GIMP.
Vellidragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop 6.0 (stone age, I know) and a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. I don't have a scanner nor the proper materials for non-digital drawing, so all is (hand-)drawn in Photoshop with the trusty ol' tablet pen (and on lots of layers because I keep changing things).
Uncle Greedy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY – Refillable Pentel Brush

Some of you might renember that I posted my selfbuilt refillable water-ink pen here quite some time ago. It still works perfect, but I always wanted to find a way to refill a pentel brush. I made several attempts to refill it with a syringe, but they all ended in messy failure.

Picture 1: This needs a more radical approach. First cutting up to see how it looks inside...

Picture 2: Much smaller then expected! I think I could add some volumen here.

Picture 3: To save energy and time, I decide to repair a cable for my musical experiments along with the operation.

Picture 4: After cutting I replace the tiny tank wit a syringe that was leftover from some old ones I got from a chemist who cleared out his cellar after some water damage. I use shrinkable hose to seal it off. Note that I use a soldering iron instead the hot air pistol as usual, so that there's no uncontrolled meltdown of all the plastic parts.

Picture 5: Although the syringe is still removable for refilling, the system is absolutely tight. No leaking so far.

Picture 6: Meanwhile I repair the broken contact of the cable. As it is more then 30 years old, we can forgive this failure. And speaking of true quality, this Nordmende voltmeter was bought by my grandfather around 1962 and works without failure since. Believe it or not, the very first battery lasted until 2006 when it had to be replaced.

Picture 7: Of course we need a grip for the pentbrush that is firm enough, and it should be transparent to see the amount of filling. Sadly all my used up pens are to narrow to fit.

Picture 8: Good I found these remains of a broken miniature flashlight. To bad it's not transparent.

Picture 9: Problem solved.

Picture 10: All together now. The syringe is still removable, and the grip firm, sealed with hot glue.

Picture 11: I had some chromepaint left for the finish.

Sylvia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdinorawr wrote:
I hand draw mine and then I color it with GIMP.

Same here. I use Flairs, Microns, Sharpies, and heavy printer paper.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I'd used Manga Studio EX for all my lineart but lately I've taken a step back from the digital realm and have begun working in traditional mediums again. I'm back on bristol board and using Pigma Microns/Pitt Pens for inks and Copic warm and cool gray sketch markers for shading/tones.

The hardest bit has been adjusting to the lack of an "undo" feature whenever I flub an ink line or screw up the shading with a marker, but at the same time, I really feel my art is improving at a much faster rate than ever before. I'm actually quite happy with how things are going. Very Happy
R. Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Photoshop CS5 and a Cintiq 21ux, but have recently started using Manga Studio EX5 for inks and colors (the Close Gap option in the magic wand tool is a nice feature). I find the line quality is much improved using MS, even when making raster line work. I still use PS for color tweaking and things that take a few too many steps in MS, such as cropping or sorting layers.

I used to do page art traditionally (standard comic boards, Microns/India ink, etc.) and color digitally, but I eventually got tired of having to keep ordering materials and not really having much space to store larger format work, so going digital was more out of convenience than anything else.

The Pride of Life - Give a Roar!
fluffy
is not a fish.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really should try Manga Studio. I'm still limping along with Photoshop CS4, because I don't like the changes in CS5/6/CC, and certain functionality I rely on doesn't work right on newer Macs in CS4.

EDIT: I have now tried Manga Studio and I think I'll be switching to it.

i am a busy bee
le nuage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hand draw with a pen holder, then scan it and draw again in illustrator with my wacom tablet.
After that I export it in photoshop to colour it.
amaryllis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I start on pencil and paper then scan into photoshop (CS6), from there I tweak and what not.

Once on the computer I use a Bamboo Create...I've never regretted that purchase!
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Photoshop 7 and a graphics tablet I bought from Scan for £30. Those lasted me for years and were brilliant. Unfortunately the graphics tablet eventually stopped working and Photoshop 7 (Windows version) is incompatible with my new iMac, so I've had to upgrade.

These days I'm using Photoshop CC and an Intuos 4. My goodness, they are both far superior to what I was using before. It's weird but the new stuff just makes everything so much quicker to draw. I think it's the responsiveness of the Intuos and the improved brushes in Photoshop CC over 7 but whatever it is, it's nice.

theoriginalmoser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Photoshop CC with an Intuos 5 Medium graphics tablet. Other than that, BIC mechanical pencils for sketching and a Lexmark all in one scanner for scanning
synapsecomic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Photoshop CS5 mostly, occasionally I'll need to do something in Illustrator. I almost never sketch in pencil, that part is usually done digitally too.

My tablet is an intuos5 touch. Lately I've been preferring the felt tip nibs for that.

I also incorporate some 3D stuff in my comic, so I use Daz 4.6 Pro and Blender (both are free right now, which is great).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: