TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thor's a woman, now.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casual Notice
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Thor's a woman, now. Reply with quote

So, Marvel has announced that they're re-imagining Thor as a woman. My question is why? I mean, I've read the whole, "reaching out to the female audience" and "empowerment of women" blahblah. It just seems so full of bullshit, you know?

For one thing, they're half-assing it. If you want to reach out to a new market, it's stupid to completely redesign the product for everyone. When MacDonald's wanted to actually sell food in Japan, they didn't change the Big Mac recipe worldwide to include shrimp. That's what Marvel is doing. Yes, women are a big market, but not everyone want's a shrimp-based Big Mac.

Further, it's a cheap ploy. "Look! Thor's a chick, now." is something they can just take back, later. "Yeah, see, that was a trick by Loki on Earth X to fool the X-men into something with reasons." If they really wanted to reach out to the women's audience, they'd elevate one of the existing warrior women (Sif's kind of a badass) or create a new one (the Celtic goddess Brigid, for instance) and provide that character with a title and full new-title support (fanfair, multiple crossovers).

Are any geek women happy about this? If so, why? This just seems like the superhero version of giving you Uncle Milty in a dress, when Imogene Coca is standing right there.
MindChimera

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't follow Marvel or DC or whatever, so the only Marvel version of Thor I care about is the one that shows up in the movies. And even as far as that goes, I've only seen The Avengers. So my opinion doesn't mean much, but I'm mostly indifferent.

My impression is they'll eventually go back to male, and this'll be more of a "remember that time Thor was a woman?" sort of thing. It's not really swaying me to read the comic.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current Thor comic writer, Jason Aaron, has been decent, but he does have a tendency to incorporate a banal idea or two into otherwise interesting stories. Could be this is one of them; I won't know for a while because I'm reading it through Marvel Unlimited, which runs six months behind print.

Also an odd move given that their on-again-off-again hotshot artist, Esad Ribic, is really really great at drawing really buff dudes, but surprisingly clumsy at drawing women. Wonder if they'll be getting a different artist for this story (arc?).
^_^

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? I'm supposed to be going "Oooh, yeah, Thor is a WOMAN now, I guess I better check THAT out!"?

I think not.

I want a story not a gimmick.

... And, if I was going to read a Marvel comic*, I would be perfectly happy to read one with a guy protagonist. So, er... talk about pointless.

*I probably wouldn't. I have nothing against superheroes, but I prefer self-contained stories that can be read within a reasonable timespan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is that Loki is already a gender-shifter (even in the pre-Marvel Norse version,) so why add another one. It seems redundant and lazy. The name doesn't even make sense, since a feminine Thor would be Thora. *Bleh*
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, I was hoping for "Thorella."

Also, I think Marvel Thor guru Walt Simonson may approve (even though this is from NYCCon 2012 : p):

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thor's been a number of beings, including a horse-head alien and a frog. While I tend to not cut print comics much slack, it might be a good idea to see what they do with the idea before judging it.

After, all, it's not like we're talking about DC, here.
Lenswot

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture I saw shows a woman Thor with metal breast-shaped chest armor. That seems totally silly and impractical for battle. Plus lipstick because that just appears on women. Still more progressive than "She Hulk" who seems to be just a shapely regular woman with green skin.
Zoe Robinson
Resident Diet Lawyer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lenswot wrote:
The picture I saw shows a woman Thor with metal breast-shaped chest armor. That seems totally silly and impractical for battle.

Not just impractical but actually deadly. The force of any blow to the chest will be channeled right down to the centre of the ribcage, meaning it will be very easy to fracture the new Thor's chest and kill her.

If they go anywhere near realism, this new Thor will last one battle, max.

Milknut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, they are turning gender into a gimmick. I have never been interested in superhero serial comics for this very reason: they inevitably fall into stupid plot contrivances because the writers are running out of ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: