TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Website layout for comics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Website layout for comics Reply with quote

Hi!

I designed the site where I use to post my webcomic like a blog. This is, with a all the episodes in one column, all together.

Then, I saw that my preferred authors had one episode on the home, and < PREV NEXT > buttons. So I decided to change it in that way because my episodes are independent stories. But I'm not sure if it's the best... Do you guys have any experience or opinion with that?

Thank you in advance!
MindChimera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next and Previous buttons are pretty much the standard. If you want to do something different, you can, but you should look into the best way to do it. Next and Previous buttons are going to be expected by most webcomic readers, so if you're going to try a different setup, you want to make sure you aren't scaring people away.

If it helps, I think your site looks better with just one story on each page.

You may also want to create an archive page that lists all your comics. If someone's looking for a specific comic they like, your current setup either forces them to bookmark it or go through each page until they find it. Not very friendly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first/previous/next/last format became the standard for webcomics for a reason. It's effective and easy to use. It makes navigation smooth and painless for the most part.

If you decide to do something different, I think you should ask yourself why. If you find a format that works better for your comic and is easy on your readers ( you know people are lazy), then great.

But if your answer is "just to be different" then you're probably better off going for the standard way.
Nerris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
Next and Previous buttons are pretty much the standard. If you want to do something different, you can, but you should look into the best way to do it. Next and Previous buttons are going to be expected by most webcomic readers, so if you're going to try a different setup, you want to make sure you aren't scaring people away.

If it helps, I think your site looks better with just one story on each page.

You may also want to create an archive page that lists all your comics. If someone's looking for a specific comic they like, your current setup either forces them to bookmark it or go through each page until they find it. Not very friendly.

Thank you MindChimera! It's a great idea to add this archive section to the site. I'll do it for sure.
Nerris

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFD wrote:
The first/previous/next/last format became the standard for webcomics for a reason. It's effective and easy to use. It makes navigation smooth and painless for the most part.

If you decide to do something different, I think you should ask yourself why. If you find a format that works better for your comic and is easy on your readers ( you know people are lazy), then great.

But if your answer is "just to be different" then you're probably better off going for the standard way.

Thank you JDF. I'll go with the PREV/NEXT next buttons. Maybe I'll add FIRST and LAST as you mentioned.
Lindemannade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerris wrote:
Thank you JDF. I'll go with the PREV/NEXT next buttons. Maybe I'll add FIRST and LAST as you mentioned.

I don't know what you're using to make your site but for me First and Last buttons are so simple it's definitely worth doing. Whenever I make a new page I just link the First button to the first comic and Last to the homepage and we're good to go!

Also if your comics are all one-offs (as mine are) instead of sequential it's quite common to have a Random Comic button. Personally I've never really felt the need to add one but it might be something worth thinking about.
Betty_Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you have to ensure ease in user experience and that is only possible through certain things. The next/previous buttons are there for this purpose; to create engagement and for quick browsing. So don't ignore the existence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: