TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are your kids cartoonists, too?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Are your kids cartoonists, too? Reply with quote

My older kid, who is now 11, drew his first mini-comic when he was in kindergarten. It was called "Goo Man" but because he had that habit of writing his letters backwards it looked like "Poo Man", which still makes us laugh. We made it into a book for him and photocopied it so he could give it to all his friends. He drew another the next year, and I even took copies of both comics with me to comic shows (mostly to inspire the other little kids I'd see there). He hasn't drawn another comic story since, though. He likes art, but not to the point where he does it in his spare time.

My younger kid, now 8, has drawn a few strip-style comics here and there, but mostly what she enjoys is doodling. She loves comics and animation, and I can certainly see how it's inspired her in her drawings. I find it amusing, in this webcomic age of "colour sells!", that she almost never colours her pictures-- they're always black and white line drawings.

Are your kids making comics just like their parents? Or, if they're at that just-barely-holding-a-pencil stage, do you see the beginnings of brilliant artistic talent in the scribbles? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have six kids from 15 to 6 (two step daughters and four non-step daughters) - they all have drawn at various times - some more than others. Two of them have drawn some really funny comics - but only sporadically - it's not really a passion for any of them. They hardly notice that I draw a comic - even though I'm sitting at the kitchen table. They aren't really in tune with comics - we don't get "the" paper - and digitally they only seem to IM and text and Facebook.... However, my youngest one is a little more in tuned with them and I love it when she uses my characters - but often makes her own story lines...I'll have to post some of those some day.

This tread also reminds me of a time I saw an art show in a gallery and the artist had his son's work (I think he was 5 or 6) in the front room/lobby of the gallery - that was a LONG time ago - but it stuck with me.

http://miltonfive.blogspot.com/
raines80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one kid... he is 1 years/year (how do you say that???) old. The only art he seems to make are the strange faces that appear in his diapers after a good nap.... The faces aren't that bad...
^_^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All four of my daughters have done comics at various times. One has even created a continuing story with a significant number of pages (that she didn't want me to post online for her), and another might manage that feat eventually, but she's also in the middle of writing two novels, etc, etc, so her comic project progress very slowly. The third has turned her attention to visual novels, which she likes better (and which she prefers not to do her own art for). The fourth daughter, my youngest, hasn't stuck with anything for any length of time.

Neither of my sons have tried comics.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: kids Reply with quote

I have no kids, but I can't wait to start my own coloring, lettering, and editing sweat shop![/quote]
joeychips

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three of my kids have drawn comics. They can't help it--must be in the blood.
n9uxu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. My daughter loves to draw, but anything that would require a schedule or pre-thought bums her right out. Drawing is her release, and she just uses it as a stream-of-consciousness head clearer.

She is, however, a prolific writer (though not comics), so she's basing her future on creativity.

Dave

Also be sure to read ttallan's
tmdgraphics

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... Yes. My oldest daughter sits up at the table and pulls out paper and markers, looks at us and says, "I'm working in my office!! Don't bother me!!" Just like her Daddy.... Awww... Lol.

RacGamb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

too good stories, kids always gives us so many wonderful and funny incidents to remembers...
amaryllis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eldest often watches me draw and as a result is constantly drawing. Frequently blows my mind how good she is at her age. I'm impressed, and I have to say I'm a little proud too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomics and Real Life All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: