TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you using to create your comic?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mbeast wrote:
Wow - I feel so clueless trying to read this thread. Right now I do initial pencils in blue, do a trace over in just whatever regular lead pencil I have handy (usually just a #2), then scan and do inks with a cheap Bamboo tablet in Manga Art Studio. I've been doing the inks on a different layer (and hide the original, pencil layer). I kind of figured that the quality of paper would never be a factor, since everything gets scanned.

Well, you're inking digitally, so yeah, the quality of the paper doesn't matter at all. Mostly fancy papers seem to come in handy for traditional inking and coloring, or anything where you're going to be preserving some of the traditional art in the final product. You're not, I take it... so much like me, why bother with expensive materials?

For Between Places, I usually sketched my pencils with whatever pencil I could find, usually a mechanical pencil, .5 lead, HB or whatever, on printer paper. If I didn't feel like scanning (I got better detail when I did traditional pencils, I found) I just sketched in Photoshop and then did my work on top of that.

I've been messing around with different processes for my upcoming comic, though, and found I like the look when I use a marker to ink... I use a light blue marker that works like a non-photo pencil for the "pencils", a brown marker for the actual lineart, and use alpha channels to clean it up. I don't know if I'll maintain this process because I'm a fairly strictly digital artist, but because I'm taking so much concept art commissions, it's nice to do something other than paint.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:

I've been messing around with different processes for my upcoming comic, though, and found I like the look when I use a marker to ink... I use a light blue marker that works like a non-photo pencil for the "pencils", a brown marker for the actual lineart, and use alpha channels to clean it up. I don't know if I'll maintain this process because I'm a fairly strictly digital artist, but because I'm taking so much concept art commissions, it's nice to do something other than paint.

Thanks for the insight into what your process is and what you've been trying. It's a little overwhelming trying to get started without much prior knowledge. The things you've mentioned have given me a few ideas that I'll try out. Need to just remind myself that I'm in this for the long term and expecting great, instant results isn't fair to myself.
smbhax.com
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed by how together your comic looks, particularly considering that this is your first real go at drawing.

I'd caution against using fuzzy brushes or blurs for shadows--to my eye, at least, they immediately jump out as looking artificial.

Taking some drawing courses is an excellent idea. It doesn't hurt also just to get a sketchbook and draw...whatever. But particularly just look for little things around you that you can draw from life. If you want a real challenge, practice drawing your hand, or even your face in a mirror (or anyone you can get to sit still for you :).

There are loads of books that could be helpful for drawing tips; two that I've found helpful in various ways have been the old "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way"--although that is particularly skewed toward exaggerated superhero-style illustration--and the even older "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" by Andrew Loomis. If you want something on human anatomy in particular, one of the classics is George Bridgeman's "Constructive Anatomy" which is pretty easy to find in digital form by googling.

Of course, another important thing to do is to find comics whose art you like, and figure out why you like it. : ) Aside from webcomics, deviantART and tumblr are good places for exploring art--comic and otherwise--online.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
I'm impressed by how together your comic looks, particularly considering that this is your first real go at drawing.

I'd caution against using fuzzy brushes or blurs for shadows--to my eye, at least, they immediately jump out as looking artificial.

Taking some drawing courses is an excellent idea. It doesn't hurt also just to get a sketchbook and draw...whatever. But particularly just look for little things around you that you can draw from life. If you want a real challenge, practice drawing your hand, or even your face in a mirror (or anyone you can get to sit still for you Smile.

There are loads of books that could be helpful for drawing tips; two that I've found helpful in various ways have been the old "How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way"--although that is particularly skewed toward exaggerated superhero-style illustration--and the even older "Figure Drawing for All It's Worth" by Andrew Loomis. If you want something on human anatomy in particular, one of the classics is George Bridgeman's "Constructive Anatomy" which is pretty easy to find in digital form by googling.

Of course, another important thing to do is to find comics whose art you like, and figure out why you like it. : ) Aside from webcomics, deviantART and tumblr are good places for exploring art--comic and otherwise--online.

Thanks for the advice and kind words on the comic! I know I definitely need to put in more time just practicing - I'm really bad at that. So far I've used books by Ben Caldwell and Jack Hamm to help me get started, but will definitely look into the ones you mentioned once some funds clear up. I've heard really good things about the Marvel book before. Thanks again for the feedback![/url]
egypturnash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smbhax.com wrote:
I didn't plan on the shading when I started in pencil, it just seems like they want to shade things. Tricky devils. : P

Each medium has a thing it wants to do. You can do drastically different things in any medium, but you'll have to spend a looooot more time fighting it!

It's mostly best to actually go to a place your medium kinda wants to go.

(says the girl whose next comic is going to be scratchy and painterly, yet drawn in Illustrator. PHYSICIAN HEAL THYSELF.)
egypturnash

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And re Mbeast wanting drawing advice?

Go here, get the Preston Blair book, and start doing these exercises. You will get a lot better, a lot faster.
Kiwihopper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Photoshop CS6 with a Wacom Bamboo, drawing everything digitally. I think it would annoy me to have to scan strips in!
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough, I think it would annoy me to have to keep zooming in and out while drawing a page. I don't like not being able to see the whole image.
No! Don't post it there!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scanning and cleaning up the scan is a little annoying, yah. : P

When I worked digitally I found zooming annoying, too...so mostly I just worked zoomed out so I could see the whole thing at once. Not the best for pixel precision, but it saved my sanity a bit, and also kept me from losing the big picture of the whole composition.
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Funnily enough, I think it would annoy me to have to keep zooming in and out while drawing a page. I don't like not being able to see the whole image.

Photoshop has this handy feature where you can duplicate the window, so that you can see it zoomed out while working on a zoomed in copy, and it automatically shows what you're doing. If I'm working on detailed stuff, I'll drop a zoomed out copy in my other monitor and work zoomed in.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After thirteen years of Illustrator I'm pretty used to zooming in and out. I do it all the time, whether I'm out in a cafe on the laptop screen, or at home on the 24" screen. I was already used to doing it back when my medium of choice was Deluxe Paint back on my old Amiga.

The big thing about zooming for me was stopping myself from spending hours fiddling over stuff that comes out as less than a pixel when rendered at web res; I cured that by instilling the habit of hitting command-1 to zoom out to full size on a pretty regular basis. Zoom in, tweak stuff, zoom out, repeat if it doesn't look good at final size. I really don't even think about zooming any more; my left hand just kinda hits command-space while my right hand slashes out a zoom window with the stylus.

I mostly only ever use the dual views functionality Metrius mentions when I'm drawing something intended for icons.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly only use it when I'm drawing something huge and detailed. I usually do my comic updates mostly zoomed out, with a bit of command + and -. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Flipside University Reply with quote

Mine's hand drawn and then colored in flash and Photoshop. Took awhile to find the perfect combination.
--------------------------
vashoom

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to draw everything by hand, scan it in, and then touch things up / add text and word balloons in Photoshop, but I finally convinced myself to go all digital.

It was a little difficult for the first day trying to acclimate my hand/eye with a graphic tablet, but now I can't ever see myself going back. I also draw in Manga Studio 5 now instead of Photoshop. Photoshop still has its uses for me, but I find Manga Studio to be a much better program for lineart.
Beerbuca

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sketch layouts on pen and paper and translate it with a Desktop PC and GIMP. Hallelujah for free software!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> Webcomic Gubbins All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: