TWCL Forum Index TWCL
Forums for The Webcomic List

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How old are you?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How old are you?
Less than 14; too young for the internet
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
14 - 18; teenager
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
19 - 25; young adult
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
26 - 29; older young adult
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
30 - 39; too young to be this old
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
40 - 49; also too young to be this old
21%
 21%  [ 7 ]
50 - 59; possibly not a kid anymore
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
60 - 69; somewhat experienced with life
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
70 - 99; fine wine
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
100+; I hate how web forms won't let me enter my real age
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 33

Marscaleb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: How old are you? Reply with quote

A few things I've read here made me wonder if I have a lot more life experience than certain others. But then again, there are others here who have posted work that shows them to be much older than I.

So I'm kinda curious about the demographics here.

Also,

GET OFF MY LAWN!!
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coworkers for the last four years of my life ranged from being mothers with two children to retiree age women.

This has pretty much ensured I hate everyone my own age for being young idiots who don't know where their ass is after being repeatedly told how my generation is nothing but a lot of idiots, and everyone older than me for only being able to talk about their grandchildren/children and being some of the most judgmental people I ever did meet. (On the flip side there were some truly wonderful older people that made me proud to be human.)

It made me really wonder if "life experience" is really measured by how many years you've spent on it after meeting some of the most inane, teenager-still-in-middle-school mentality middle aged women. If I would have met them online, with that attitude... I would have thought them to be 16. They of course, thought that because they were 40+, they were far superior to me and I should be bowing to their masterful skills. (We of course had audits monthly which proved for a fact that we were all about the same at cleaning things to standards, but tell that to them.) I'm pretty sure I hate everyone on the face of the planet due to four years of this and pray I never have to work with middle aged teenagers again.

The, uh, short of this is that I don't think demographics matter so much as attitude. While yeah, when it comes to art you there's no substitute for years of just doing the damn job, there really is no substitute for having a good attitude towards your, whether new or old, status as a creator.

That's one of the reasons I like webcomics. There is no entry level age requirement. You can sit down and do them and what you put into it is what you get out of it. Age doesn't matter. Comics like Axe Cop prove that even the youngest creators can get something out of the web.

I'm kind of surprised you're older, Marscaleb. It might be because you do digital art and I generally expect traditional art from older artists... Galaxion is a good example of a comic that's shaped what I expect from older, well established comic artists on the web. I've collaborated with a few older comic artists before and all of them have done traditional art. So I find it interesting that your art is definitely a more modern approach, and the characters in your comic are younger, coming from someone shaking a walking stick from the porch at the lawn. Maybe this calls for a new poll: how old are you, and do you do digital or traditional art! I'm dying to know if this is some sort of assumption I made or if there's some facts to back it up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the young adult category. Working, going through college, and drawing comics in my spare time. Very Happy

I get along really well with people older than myself though. I've been told that I look like I'm much younger than I am, but I sound/talk like I'm much older. So I guess that's a complement.

Marscaleb wrote:
Also,

GET OFF MY LAWN!!

You can't, like, own the lawn, maaaan.
ttallan
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh gawd, fine, I'm old. Razz

*answers stupid poll*

But if you met me in person (and squinted) you'd be totally fooled, I swear!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not polite. . .

Late 20s but I look much older (not a good thing). Wish I could make time for beauty sleep because I could certainly use it!

I still prefer the company of older people. When I was a teen, I preferred to take my lunch and hang out with the 30-somethings. When I started as a teacher, I had lunch with the 50-somethings and now, left to my own devices, I'll sit with the retired and talk about arthritis issues.
Metruis
Postpostpostpostpost!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttallan wrote:
Oh gawd, fine, I'm old. Razz

You're only as old as you feel. Razz

Besides, I'm almost entirely certain this poll was started to try prove that older people are cooler... though right now it looks like a pretty even sprawl, which is nice, and proves my point that webcomics are an all-age accessible activity.
Spambot Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metruis wrote:
You're only as old as you feel

That explains why I feel so 49.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MindChimera wrote:
I've been told that I look like I'm much younger than I am, but I sound/talk like I'm much older. So I guess that's a complement.

I recall getting the sound/talk like I'm older thing, but not too frequently because I looked older than I was at many points in my life.

MindChimera wrote:

You can't, like, own the lawn, maaaan.

I can, because I'm not a penniless hippie!

Metruis wrote:

It made me really wonder if "life experience" is really measured by how many years you've spent on it

Absolutely. Certainly, there are a number of commonalities and statistically likelihoods, but overall someone's age determines very little about them.

Metruis wrote:

I'm kind of surprised you're older, Marscaleb. It might be because you do digital art and I generally expect traditional art from older artists...

I also am surprised I am older.

I imagine you feel the same way I do when I meet people who are in their 50's and into computers. I think, how could you possibly care about and know this stuff?
Well, we can never really find stereotypes that apply correctly to everyone, because there are always people like me who are never satisfied being normal.

To be completely fair though, you are not too far off the mark. I hold a special place in my heart for the more traditional work. I love pencil work so very much. (Oh Winter Melody, why did you switch to digital? I gotta get my fix...)
You may notice that when I appear in avatar-form in my comic, I am drawn with colored pencil. And I considered creating my cmic in such fashion. And I have a fair amount of traditional work in my Deviant Art page.
Varethane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yerng adurlt :U

Odd, no teenagers yet (younger than 19, anyway)...
^_^

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month my WiiFit told me I was 28.

Last month my eldest offspring turned 22.

Clearly, I'm a time traveller. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in six months I'll be "too young to be this old."

But right now I'm an older young adult. Which I think narrows down how old I am nicely. I'm going to miss my 20s way more than I miss being a teenager.
Marscaleb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lavenderbard wrote:

Clearly, I'm a time traveller. Very Happy

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!
hipopotamo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too young to be this old...

Well, some say I'm immature, and not only for writing comics.

Circumstantially, I hang out with 20 somethings (OK, close to 30's but still).

And I wish I could time-travel....

Cheers from the Hippo

mcmasters

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked "immature old fart."

---

www.mcmasterscomics.com
n9uxu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 45 which isn't too old considering I'm slated to be killed at age 142 by a semi truck in a bizarre cycling accident. However, I do feel being one-quarter-in, that I should really be making some definite plans for the future...

Dave

Also be sure to read ttallan's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TWCL Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: